Port Forwarding setup not working to access cameras
xxnonamexx

I want to access my home security cameras from my phone or PC off the network.

I need to forward my DVR IP address to a Public IP address..

They gave 192.168.1.108 as the NVR and HTTP port 80 and client port 35000. I log into my Fios Quantum router and enter the port forwarding details and it won't work. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Please assist. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding setup not working to access cameras
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The first step is to make sure the NVR / DVR IP Address never changes. Ensure that your NVR is set up with either a Static IP Address, outside of your router's DHCP range, or that you have configured an "IP Reservation" for the NVR.

If that's fine, we'll need to double check your port forwarding rules. A common mistake many make when port forwarding is, create the rule in this structure: "TCP 80 --> Port 80 of NVR" when it is supposed to be structured like "TCP Any --> Port 80 of NVR". If the beginning of your port forwarding rule isn't set to use TCP / UDP with "Any," the rule won't work as expected.

After double checking these two points, use the website http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to check to see whether or not your NVR is reachable from outside. It will report "Open" if the rules have worked. "Closed" means the port forwarding rule is likely working, but the NVR is refusing connection. "Stealth" means the port forwarding rule is likely to be incorrect, or the NVR is offline entirely.

The last part to ensure is, How are you trying to connect to your NVR remotely? By IP Address, a Dynamic DNS name, or is there a cloud connection the NVR makes to keep track of your NVR's public IP?

xxnonamexx

bdimageThe NVR has the ip address, they mention client port 35000 so I tried to add everything with the 80 port and it won't work. What am I missing?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay, so what it looks like you're doing is redirecting the request sent to port 35000, to Port 80 on the NVR. What you may need to do is make two rules. One for each port. Make sure to specify the same port in both the "Destination Port" and "Forward to port" box. Everything else otherwise looks correct.

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

So looking at my previous screenshot how do I need to set up these 2 rules? I tried making dest/forward ports identical and it did not work. Not sure what I did wrong how should me configuration look. Thanks

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

I have tried to add rules and get input errors. Any idea how they should be set up? Thanks

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

I am still having issues to get this port corrected to view my cameras. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is structuring your rule like this causing the error?

Keep in mind, your traffic will need to come from anywhere, and any port. The Destination port, and the port being forwarded to on the device, should be the same.

Also, if you can share the list of your existing port forwarding rules, it's possible that UPnP on the router may be automatically creating rules, causing issues.

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

I am not sure what else is causing the port forwarding in my router not to work. ANy other ideas on what is being done wrong. Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you supply the model of the NVR you're working with, as well as the exact name of the app you're using? I would like to review the manual to make sure we're trying to target this problem correctly.

0 Likes