Power Supply Issues
hiker1701a

Recently had Verizon install a new power supply (replacing the old battery backup version) and now EVERY time I lose power, I have to go to my garage and manually reset the power supply for the OAT to get power.  This is not a good feature.  Any way to resolve this?

0 Likes
Re: Power Supply Issues
jonjones1
Legend

The ont gets is power not from a battery but a direct connection to your homes electric current. The battery backup or power reserve simply keeps your Verizon phone working for 8 hours or more during a power outrage.

you would reset the ONT if necessary but after a power outrage the ont should boot back up on its own. The BBU is not even needed unless you have the phone service.

0 Likes
hiker1701a

No longer have a BBU, just a smallerm black power supply with a  reset button on the side.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@hiker1701awrote:

No longer have a BBU, just a smallerm black power supply with a  reset button on the side.

Yep that is a power reserve. Again it does not power the ONT. It can be turned off completely unless you have phone service. The batteries inside are replaceable D cells.

i have mine completely off. 

0 Likes
hiker1701a

No, it is not a power reserve and it DOES power the ONT.  If I unplug it, the ONT goes dark.  On the left side are a reset button and a jack to plug in an external (I assume battery) power source.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/power-reserve

Please look at the above link. 

Under “how do I install....” click the + and note what power reserve you have.

and notice the statement from Verizon about if you have one it is for your phone etc.

now I don’t know why you have to hit a reset on this unit to get power to the ONT.

when my power went out last summer my ONT booted up on its own. Of course along with everything else. I did purchase a APC unit which I now use for the power reserve and router, printers, VoIP devices. Just in case.

again although a 110 power cord is attached to the power reserve and then the other end to the ONT it should not affect a direct current to power the ONT.

And if you think about it, if the power reserve is strictly for phone use during a power outage why would the direct connection after the power comes back on need for you to reset a battery unit? 

But hey maybe by calling 1-800-VERIZON may give a definitive answer you will accept.

0 Likes