Prewiring and Mounting ONT inside
Plazaman1

Hello Everyone, Currently in a New Construction Build where i would like to mount the ONT inside to minimize the amount of equipment and wiring from the outside. I specifically left a mounting block on the siding where the provider only has to attach their wire. Behind that, the walls are open and I would like to place my ONT at my desirerd location on the inside. 

From my Understanding, the only connection between the ONT and the street wire is a fiberoptic cable. Is this true? If so, does this mean I can prewire a a fiber optic cable from my ONT desiered location to the exterior of my houses siding mounting block so that verion only needs to make the connection at the exterior , and finish the installation inside?

We have Overhead wires in my area (Bronx NY) and typically the ONT is mounted outside , then the coax enters the house. 

If this is possible, does verizon provide this service or is this something i need to do?

0 Likes
Re: Prewiring and Mounting ONT inside
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon uses a single fiber run from pole to ont.

You can't prerun fiber.

You can try and put in a conduit that would allow them to easily run fiber to ont location.

But there is no guarantee. If the tech wants to mount outside, you can't force him to install inside. Just make as apeasy as possible to do so.

0 Likes
Re: Prewiring and Mounting ONT inside
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like previous poster said run conduit from house to pole. Also run at least a 1 1/4 in conduit. Some of the fiber heads are 7/8 inch and won't get past the bends in a smaller conduit. Also the bigger conduit will have room to coaxial if you ever switch to cable. 

As far as the inside goes it's best to mount a backer board minimum point of entry like basement or utility area. From there make sure you run good quality cat6 and rg6 to to every location in the house back to that utility area. And if you plan on having you router in a specific room run 2 cat 6 wires to the location so the second one can feed back to utility areas to feed a switch for the other ethernet wires.