Problem with DSL when someone calls me
valmekie

I have a problem with my verizon high speed internet. Whenever someone calles me on my landline, the DSL light on my 6100g modem starts flashing and my internet shuts off. This gets really annoying when playing videogames or video chatting because unsuspecting calls can ruin gaming. Can someone help me. Should i contact verizon about this?

0 Likes
Re: Problem with DSL when someone calls me
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the same issue occur when you make calls or when you even pick up the phone, or is it only during a time when you get incoming calls? Do you have noise such as static or buzzing on the line during calls?

0 Likes
valmekie

yes the same issue happens and there is no buzzing noise or static

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. Oftern times these issues are caused by a few problems, so we need to rule them out. First thing is first, double check to ensure EVERY piece of equipment connected to your phone line, with the exception of the DSL modem is behind a DSL filter. This includes phones, Caller ID units, Alarm Systems, and Satellite Receivers. This also includes Intercom systems if an Intercom uses the same telephone wiring should you happen to be in an apartment. If/when everything looks good, follow the next step.

The next step is to locate your NID (Network Interface Device, see this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317 ) and at the NID, test the line to see if it has the same issue while connected to the test jack. The purpose of the test jack in the NID is to isolate the trouble to inside of your home or in Verizon's copper network, since it will disconnect your home's wiring while in use on most NIDs. With a corded telephone, a DSL Filter, a splitter and the DSL modem, connect the splitter to the NID's test jack. Connect the DSL filter to the splitter, connecting the telephone. Connect the DSL modem to the other end of the splitter. Power up the DSL modem (you will need an extension cord since the NID will not power the DSL modem, only the corded telephone) and wait for the DSL light to turn solid, which should take 20-30 seconds at most. From this point, pick up the phone or call your phone line and see if the problem persists.

If the problem persists, call Verizon and ask for them to dispatch a tech. The problem is either with an intermittent short or oxidation of the line somewhere, which can be cleared temporarily by allowing for voltage to flow through the line (ringing the phone, using the phone), or it is with a testing device located in the NID called the half ringer. A Verizon tech should be able to locate and repair the issue, and in the case of the half ringer, either disable it or replace it should they still need it. Since this is a problem on their end, there should never be a fee to fix such an issue.

If the problem does not exist at the NID, double check your home's wiring. This includes checking the jacks in your home for any possible points of shorts and corrosion, both in the socket itself and behind the jack where the wiring is. If you cannot solve the problem, you can get Verizon out to locate the problem for you so that you may correct it, or you can have Verizon correct it but at a fee.

0 Likes
valmekie

ok thank you very much i hope it works.

0 Likes