Problem with Returning Router
DBZ1012
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon technician left me with a G3100 router that I was not going to use long term. I am trying to return it, and Verizon sent me a standard return box which does not fit the router twice. The most recent representative told me that I can, without a box, take the router to a UPS store with the return reference number, and they will take care of shipping it (and presumably packaging it). 

I have been given a lot of run around and even some false information from Verizon Customer Service the past month, so I am a bit skeptical. Can anybody confirm that the claim that I don't need to get a custom box or a box at all is true?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with Returning Router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not everyone has a Verizon corporate store near them.  Some are literally hundreds of miles away.  If you have one close to you, use it.

The UPS drop off used to be true.  I don't know it's current status.  You could try calling a UPS store and asking, most have people who will answer the phone.  Many of the stores are franchised, so if you get a "no" from a franchised store try and find a corporate UPS store (if any exist.)  Of course, make sure you get the tracking number.

You could also try Verizon's executive relations.  They can help when normal support channels have failed.  I'm not sure your case fits this narrative, but it may be worth a try.

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/leader/contact/916673

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe so. The safest option may be to hand-deliver the G3100 to the nearest Verizon corporate store or authorized retailer with Fios demonstration capabilities. The representative will scan in the router's serial number and you should get a receipt right away.

jonjones1
Legend

No, don’t do it that way.

as the other poster stated go directly to a Verizon corporate store location no resellers.

have them no matter how hard they try to tell you that they can’t give a receipt, don’t leave the store without it.

make sure it shows the serial number from the device and your account number and name and date if needed.

many of times Verizon has pulled the old we didn’t receive it or it was lost yada yada yada.

make them give the receipt.

or contact your state attorney general’s office or consumer protection board or utilities board that regulates Verizon.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not everyone has a Verizon corporate store near them.  Some are literally hundreds of miles away.  If you have one close to you, use it.

The UPS drop off used to be true.  I don't know it's current status.  You could try calling a UPS store and asking, most have people who will answer the phone.  Many of the stores are franchised, so if you get a "no" from a franchised store try and find a corporate UPS store (if any exist.)  Of course, make sure you get the tracking number.

You could also try Verizon's executive relations.  They can help when normal support channels have failed.  I'm not sure your case fits this narrative, but it may be worth a try.

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/leader/contact/916673

jonjones1
Legend

Although what you are saying is true and in itself. However

Google the issue of customers returning equipment to verizon via not only UPS but USPS with receipts and Verizon states it was not received (even with proof) or that it was lost and they ding the customer.

Verizon wireless was famous for the "we never received the phone" and said it was the customer who had to pay those crazy prices. As it turned out once the carrier accepted the return it falls not on the customer but the UPS/USPS and Verizon to file the claim. Since customer did as they were supposed to.

One thing I can say for cable if you go to their offices which are numerous they take the equipment and give you an immediate receipt. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not everyone has a Verizon corporate store close to them.  We don't know if this is the case for the OP.

While I've seen complaints on this very forum about UPS returns that don't go right, we don't know what percentage of them do go properly.  I can tell you from my personal experience I've returned equipment to Verizon using UPS several times and never had an issue.

If the OP does not have a corporate store close to them, their options are limited and UPS is a good one; assuming they still do pack-and-ship for VZ.  If the OP uses this method, they should make sure to keep all relevant documentation in case of problems.

I'm not sure why cable companies business practices are relevant here, as that doesn't help the OP.  If the OP is considering changing service providers, this might become relevant.  As would all the reviews of the overall quality of cable company customer service.  I have plenty of my own personal stories to tell, too... but they are not relevant so I won't post them here.

jonjones1
Legend

The mention of the cable companies returns was to show that all of their brick and moter locations accept the returns and give instant receipts. It was not a debate simply to show how the other companies handle the returns “as should Verizon” it should be ANY CORPORATE location.

0 Likes
DBZ1012
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks everyone for the answers. I guess I'll phone around on Monday. The Fios Corporate store around me that takes returns is about two hours away. I might have to look into the UPS options.