Problems with Wifi Because of Newer Modems
jbillington

I recently started having problems with my Wifi and I think it's because of the newer modems.  Very few people use phones with 2.4 Ghz band - everyone just uses cell phone now. I'm doubtful that there's anything other than Wifi networks on 2.4Ghz anymore. 

I live on a residential street, houses are fairly close together and there's a proliferation of wireless networks, many in 5GHz bands.  Additionally, I see a huge list of Wifi printers in the network list which I'm guessing are also causing interference.  I've had Fios here for 5 years and the same old trusty ActionTec router has served me well.  All of a sudden there's a huge list of 5Ghz networks and printers and I start getting < 2MB/s speed tests on my laptop (while getting 30MB/s via ethernet cable.  I've tried moving the router but the problems persist.  Any other suggestions?  

0 Likes
Re: Problems with Wifi Because of Newer Modems
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only the newest FIOS Router (they don't use modems) use 5G. So if you have an older ActionTec, it would be 2.4G. So is that where your issue is?

If you have an android device, download an app called wifi analyzer. If can help recommned the best channel to change your router to get the ebst performance.

0 Likes