Problems with in-home agent generating "Suspicious Behavior"
Rick70721

After many years of having InHome Agent installed on my Windows 7 PC (though I almost never use it), in the last few days my anti virus software is giving me a "Suspicious Behavior" alert that IHAMessageCenter is trying to launch C\Windows\System32\cmd.exe. Weirdly, when I tell Zone Alarm to deny IHAMessageCenter permission to do so and click "Remember this Setting", a few seconds later it comes back and asks me again, as if somehow it can't remember the setting and IHA is continually wanting to launch CMD.EXE.

I'd honestly be glad to remove IHA or at least not have it run in the background all the time, or not have it run at startup, as I can't think that I've ever used it, but before I do I'd like to have some idea of what's happening and why. Maybe this is actually malware disguising itself as IHA. 

0 Likes
Re: Problems with in-home agent generating "Suspicious Behavior"
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Rick7072 wrote:

... in the last few days my anti virus software is giving me a "Suspicious Behavior" alert that IHAMessageCenter is trying to launch C\Windows\System32\cmd.exe. Weirdly, when I tell Zone Alarm to deny IHAMessageCenter permission to do so and click "Remember this Setting", a few seconds later it comes back and asks me again, as if somehow it can't remember the setting and IHA is continually wanting to launch CMD.EXE.

I'd honestly be glad to remove IHA ... but before I do I'd like to have some idea of what's happening and why ...

I doubt that you will find a specific explanation for why ZA classifies the IHA executable as "suspicious."  Over the years I've had several benign executables raise an alarm where none was actually called for.

If you use In Home Agent and prefer to keep it on the system, by all means do so.  However it's probably a good idea to remove IHA in the "Add/Remove" programs menu.  It does essentially nothing for you and is at best an annoyance.  Interestingly, it's somewhat "disguised" in the programs list, because most folks would not recognize IHA as the culprit.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with in-home agent generating "Suspicious Behavior"
regina47
Enthusiast - Level 2

don't know if in-home agent is generating my alerts!?!? But the last few days I have been getting same "suspicious behavior" alerts, also a "Trojan and Tracking cookie" alerts !!! And, In home advisor is curently "down" ???? anyone know what might be going on?

regina47

0 Likes
Re: ..."Suspicious Behavior" - Try Security Software
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@regina47 wrote:

... don't know if in-home agent is generating my alerts ... I have been getting same "suspicious behavior" alerts, also a "Trojan and Tracking cookie" alerts ... anyone know what might be going on? ...

Perhaps you have loaded a virus or malware.  Have you run a good anti-virus/malware application?  What makes you think this is related to the specific subject of this thread, In Home Agent?  After all, people do actually get virus attacks these days.

0 Likes