QNAP NAS
ghandlin

I recently upgraded from the quantum router + google mesh to the G3100. I used to be able to access my nas with just the machine name, both to hit the web UI as well as network shares, but now I can't access it no matter what I do. If I ping it, it resolves the FQDN (I have not changed from the mynetworksettings.com default), but the requests all time out, same doing a tracert. 

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: QNAP NAS
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mentioning a router change from G1100 to G3100 may be a red herring. I believe the problem resides with your device's DNS cache. It is likely that G3100 assigns a different IP address to the NAS than G1100, so the aged DNS entry on your device no longer resolves to the correct IP.

What devices are you using to access the NAS? Is it a Windows, MacOS, Linux, or a cell phone?

ghandlin

Windows machines. I've flushed the DNS on the laptop and it has the same IP as what the modem is saying. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you ping the NAS IP address?

Fios does not use modems. I think you mean G3100 router.

ghandlin

Pinging resolves the FQDN, but the actual ping request times out.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ghandlin wrote:

Pinging resolves the FQDN, but the actual ping request times out.

I know your ping resolves the name. That was not my question. My question is can you actually ping the IP of the NAS?

Name based ping does DNS resolution and ICMP echo. Could we eliminate one variable by just doing an IP-based ping to see whether the ICMP echo is working?

ghandlin

No, the requests time out.

Pinging 192.168.1.156 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pinging IP address timing out suggests the host is down, the route is broken, or the link is broken. OR, the NAS is simply not using this IP. Could you figure out the actual IP of the NAS?

ghandlin

That's the IP listed by the router.

nas.png

0 Likes
ghandlin

nas.jpg

0 Likes