Quality of Service and Jitter issues
edr426

I am having poor quality of service (36%) and Jitter issues (36ms).  I called Verizon Fios technical support and was told that my connection is fine and that it must be a vendor issue.  Only vendor I'm having an issue with is Verizon.  If I can't get someone from Verizon that knows what QoS and Jitter is on the phone to help me troubleshoot this issue I'm going to have to cancel my service and find a provider that has someone technical providing tech support.

0 Likes
Re: Quality of Service and Jitter issues
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

How are you determining you are having QOS problems and have Jitter?  What and how are you performing the tests to come up with these numbers?  What is the connections you are testing?  What application are you running that are showing you having  QOS and Jitter issues.

So, I do need to speak about QOS.  How do you expect Verizon FIOS Service to have QOS.  Are you paying for QOS as part of a business FIOS?

In a normal sense of the word, QOS is usually available in a corporate environment.  I'm not aware of QOS being available in residental FIOS.  How can they enforce QOS if VZ may not own the facilities between two points?  Normally there are multiple different providers and so QOS rules will not be followed, its all best effort.

Can you please expand upon what you are doing.

0 Likes
edr426

I am running the tests from this site.

http://voiptest.packet8.net/

I expect Verizon service to be of a quality were the services I am trying to use work.  I am having issues with Youtube videos not working and my Sprint Airave only providing outbound audio and no inbound audio.  I know it is not the Airave device causing the issue because Sprint has already replaced it and both units have the same issue.

0 Likes
edr426
Upstream jitter 35.7 ms
Downstream jitter 6.0 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.8 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 5.1 %
MOS 3.4
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

are you wired or wireless with your jitter, and can you post some traceroutes or WINMTR's?

if you want it seriously looked at, then you have to have a little more detail the the results, and winmtr is excellent, traceroutes will at least give a hint of where the trouble lies.

also, turn off your router, reboot the ONT and then test again.

0 Likes