Quantum Gateway G1100 router - can't get ethernet ports to work?!
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got a Quantum Gateway G1100 router, and the improvement in wireless networking speed over my old Actiontec router is as advertised.

However, I find that I can’t get any of my wired devices to connect to the router via any of the four yellow Ethernet ports on the back of the unit. I can only connect to this thing wirelessly. Hooking up my PC to the router with an Ethernet cable gets me no connection, not even to the router itself at 192.168.1.1 (or myfiosgateway.com).

I have a PC, a printer, a network drive/media server and a Roku all wired to my router, none of them are detected. I can connect my PC and Roku wirelessly, but the network drive and printer must be wired.

The instructions act like it should be plug-and-go for the Ethernet ports, which has always been my experience with other routers over 10+ years of using Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Actiontec, etc., units. Usually it’s the wireless network config that has hiccups. This is a first for me.

Am I missing something obvious? I’ve swapped back in my old Actiontec router just to check things out, and the wired devices all see my home network and the internet as well.

Interestingly, if I go to the “My Network” tab on the router, I see one and only one Ethernet device. I don’t know what it is, and it is labeled “Active”, but it’s sitting on 192.168.1.4, which is the static IP address I’d configured my network drive to grab, yet it is not the network drive (any attempt to connect to it just times out).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway G1100 router - can't get [powerline] ethernet ports to work reliably?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could there be a possibility of a loop being caused by the power line adapters, or by a device or cable plugged into the adapters? I do not know if the G1100 supports STP at a minimum, but the ActionTec does. The router could be turning off the ports if it suspects a loop.

Then again, it could just be a weird compatibility issue as you've found.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Quantum Gateway G1100 router - can't get ethernet ports to work?!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you get a link light on the port or nothing?

If nothing, sounds like you may have a defective router.

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3
The link lights on the back light up.

This is my second G1100 from Verizon (I sent the first one back as defective, after a 45 minute chat with tech support), this is its replacement I got today, same thing.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Plug the ethernet into the PC. Click start and go to run or the command prompt and type CMD and press enter. You should now have a small black box open. Type ipconfig /all and press enter. What IP address are you getting on your LAN connection/

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

it does give me an IP address for the ethernet connection - 192.168.1.151 - that is different from the one for the wireless connection, which is 192.168.1.152.  I can see both of these listed on the router's connections as well, in the My Network tab, if I Show All.   But if I disable the wireless, my PC cannot ping either iteself or the router at 192.168.1.1.

In fact, I can ping 192.168.1.152 (the wireless connection) but never 192.168.1.151.

There is no IP address for my other wired devices, except that I do see 192.168.1.4 appearing, which is the static address of the network drive device.  But I cannot connect to it (there is a web and media server running on the device which ordinarily pops up a config screen at 192.168.1.4).

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3
I disabled the wireless and disabled and re-enabled the network port on my PC, to force it to talk to the router as a new connection. I have no IP address now.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Disconnect everything except the PC and disable the wireless. Do you get an IP address on the NIC card?

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's the problem, I think:

If I go to the router config page, and go to My Network -> Network Connections, I only see two networks: "Home/Office" and "Broadband Ethernet/Coax" (the WAN).  If I click on "More" I see my two wireless APs (5.0 and 2.4 GHz), "Connected" in green, and Ethernet... Black and disabled.  The only one that's disabled.

I've fiddled with it but can't get it enabled.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Press and hold the reset button for 10-15 seconds to factory reset the router, When it comes back on plug in just the PC and test for an IP address.

0 Likes
robardin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dang it, I got the router to show the Ethernet switch as "Enabled" by disabling, then re-enabling my 2.4GHz wireless network.  Now all my Network Connections, including the Ethernet one (connection type "Hardware Ethernet Switch" in the properties), is enabled...

...but I still have the same problem.  I rebooted the router and my PC, still no good.

0 Likes