Quantum Gateway and WCB6200Q Extender
WallaWallaWA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Verizon Quantum Gateway, with a coax connection from the ONT. On the Quantum, both the WAN and LAN lights are steady green; there is nothing connected to the Ethernet WAN port. Three of the four non-WAN Ethernet ports are occupied (2 PCs and Netgear switch). Because of slow to poor Wi-Fi in the back of the house, I purchased the Actiontec WCB6200Q (Verizon branded) extender.

Followed the instructions in the user guide for the setup of the WCB6200Q extender:

• Pressed WPS buttons on the extender (10 seconds) and the Quantum (2 – 3 seconds). WPS button on extender glowed green.
  • Moved the extender to the master bedroom.
  • Connected a coax cable to the extender and then to a coax outlet.
  • Next connected power to the extender and then plugged in the power supply to an electrical outlet.

After a few minutes, the lights came on, first power, then 2.4GHZ and next 5GHZ, but the coax light never lit. The extender did recognize the wireless network, but would not maintain a connection, as it continuously dropped it due to “poor internet connection.” Devices could connect, but could not access the Internet. The wireless connection through the extender could not obtain an IP address from the router. Again, the coax light never came on, so I’m guessing it may have to do with the settings for the Quantum.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated - thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway and WCB6200Q Extender
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If that works, may want to make sure that coax in other room is connected to splitter.

Sometimes extra coax is run but not connected

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a TV/STB in that room?

If so, connect them to the coax that you had the extender on.

See if the STB works.

Make sure you check guide and VOD as well.

0 Likes
WallaWallaWA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry, should have provided more detail. The only STB is in the living room with a coax connection; the Quantum is in a home office also with a coax connection. I’m trying to use the extender in the master bedroom to improve Wi-Fi strength. I’ll test the extender by using a splitter in the living room for the STB and the extender and see how that goes – thanks for the quick response and the suggestion!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If that works, may want to make sure that coax in other room is connected to splitter.

Sometimes extra coax is run but not connected

WallaWallaWA
Enthusiast - Level 1

That worked. I used the splitter that came with the extender and after a couple of attempts (first, all lights went red, next half red, half green), the coax light came on and all seems to be working well, including TV (Guide, etc.). The location is closer to the master bedroom, so we now have decent speed there. When I have more time, I'll trace the other coax connections back to the source and connect and/or terminate as needed. Thanks once again for the fast replies and the pointer in the right direction.

0 Likes
MalcolmJohns

As of today, August 22, 2017.  I hooked up my ordered Veriz0n WCB6200q extender via an ethernet link to my quantum gateway router (full disclosure, I did this years ago in my wall to link to an older modem to Directv DVR).  It took a few minutes, but I now have full 5 ghz coverage across my house since I placed the extender on my first floor (router is in basement to connect to Directv.). Yes, I took advantage of wiring I did in the past).  With the new exteder as of this date?  Coax is not needed.  Connect ethernet to port 1 to port 1 between the units (extender and quantum gateway), wait a few minutes?  You have seamless WiFi in your home, at all levels.  You will have the same SSID and password for both.  On my smartphone, second floor, two levels above the router?  I have excellent signal.  And I get full speed on a speed check.  

0 Likes