Quantum Gateway router or WCB3000N network extender
jcutler121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have the MI424WR router and I am upgrading my computers to dual band wireless and want to know what would be the better option.

Should I get the new quantum gateway router or add the wcb3000n extender to the mi424wr router? Is the new router performing well?

I live in a 3 story house with the router on the second floor and for the most part I have good wireless connection but on the 3rd floor it sometimes acts up.  Would dual band help with this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum Gateway router or WCB3000N network extender
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

It is to bad that you could not get the WCB3000N to work for you as using MOCA to extend the network is much superior to using WiFi to extend your network.

Using WiFi to extend your range will effectively cut your WiFi speed in half.  Not an issue if you just need to check e-mails in a far corner of your house, but streaming video may be problematic.

Your best solution is to run an Ethernet cable from your router to the location where you want to hook up an  additional AP.

The second best is to purchase a MOCA adapter and use it in lieu of an Ethernet cable to connect the AP to the MOCA adapter.

Finally try using powerline adapters to connect the router to the AP.

If you must use a wireless look at hardware that supports  dual band radios.   Use one band to link the router to the AP and the other band to transmit the repeated signal.   This will certainly be the most expensive, most complicated and least reliable.

View solution in original post

etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

i suggest moving the router to the top floor as wireless signals drop. and yes the new fios quantum gateway does have more range but the best range is on the 5GHz so you will need to check you devices wifi card compatibility for 5GHz. also the fios quantum gateway is the first to have 2.5GHz and 5GHz radios because it has wireless 802.11AC 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I disagree with etkastor's advice.

While 5 GHz 80211.ac can provide higher speeds than 2.4 GHz formats, 5 GHz definitely will not penetrate solid objects...walls, floors, etc., better.  In fact, the 5 GHz spectrum will have worse range through solid objects.

Having said that, I would suggest that if you already have coax running to the third floor, the WCB3000N would be a good solution to get better wifi coverage on that floor.

Also, while I don't have any hands on experience with the Quantum router (yet), there have been a number of posts here on the forum that it's wifi coverage is less than stellar.  Maybe worse than the Actiontec.

andkath
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just upgraded to the Quantum Gateway router G1100 and still had problems with coverage in a room located some distance from the router.  It was suggested by Verizon to purchase the Verizon WCB 3000N extender.  Since my television box is wired, I was instructed to buy a splitter and connect both the TV box and the extender with the coxial cable.  I was told the extender needed no setting changes.   I made the necessary connections and my wireless speed increased dramatically, from 1.5 to 86.  Of course, it is not that simple.  I began to notice drops in service which was never an issue before.  I suspect that there is some conflict between the router and the extender.  Verizon then said that the new Gateway router did not have current firmware and would send a replacement, which they did the next day.  Once again, the router worked fine; however still low coverage in the distant room.  I waited a day without attaching the extender and experienced no drops in service.  I then connected the extender and once again got excellent speed.  However, drops in service began again.  Help!

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

@andkath wrote:

I just upgraded to the Quantum Gateway router G1100 and still had problems with coverage in a room located some distance from the router.  It was suggested by Verizon to purchase the Verizon WCB 3000N extender.  Since my television box is wired, I was instructed to buy a splitter and connect both the TV box and the extender with the coxial cable.  I was told the extender needed no setting changes.   I made the necessary connections and my wireless speed increased dramatically, from 1.5 to 86.  Of course, it is not that simple.  I began to notice drops in service which was never an issue before.  I suspect that there is some conflict between the router and the extender.  Verizon then said that the new Gateway router did not have current firmware and would send a replacement, which they did the next day.  Once again, the router worked fine; however still low coverage in the distant room.  I waited a day without attaching the extender and experienced no drops in service.  I then connected the extender and once again got excellent speed.  However, drops in service began again.  Help!

For what it's worth, I have the Network Extender installed with Actiontec 1424WR-I and am experiencing no drops in service and have excellent coverage. I did have problems with prior Westell router and am not seeing the single password situation that others have experienced. But, once I figured what passwords to assign to which networks (I see 3 separate network names), all is well. (in my case I needed the router password for the original network name, as well as the 5G network name, and the 2.4G network name requires the Network Extender password. I have no idea why, this is just how it works!

0 Likes
andkath
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the feedback.  Verizon advised me to return the WCB3000N extender and purchase a third party extended.  I now need to select an extender which will work well with the Quantum Gateway router.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

It is to bad that you could not get the WCB3000N to work for you as using MOCA to extend the network is much superior to using WiFi to extend your network.

Using WiFi to extend your range will effectively cut your WiFi speed in half.  Not an issue if you just need to check e-mails in a far corner of your house, but streaming video may be problematic.

Your best solution is to run an Ethernet cable from your router to the location where you want to hook up an  additional AP.

The second best is to purchase a MOCA adapter and use it in lieu of an Ethernet cable to connect the AP to the MOCA adapter.

Finally try using powerline adapters to connect the router to the AP.

If you must use a wireless look at hardware that supports  dual band radios.   Use one band to link the router to the AP and the other band to transmit the repeated signal.   This will certainly be the most expensive, most complicated and least reliable.

andkath
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response.  I agree, I would like to continue to pursue using the MOCA connection option.  Should I purchase a second router, which handles two band widths?  Would that be a better option than the WCB3000N?  Although cost is always a consideration, at this point, I just want to get a signal in the far room.  So an additional equipment purchase that works would be an acceptable option.  I just have no idea what to buy and whether or not I will have the same problem.  It appears that the extender creates interference.  When the WCB is connected, I get fabulous speed in the far room but the signal is affected throughout the rest of the house and creates slower speed and drops in signal.  Could there be conflicting radio signals between the equipment?  Should they be on different radio signals?   Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You could try an Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA-to-coax adapter.  They can be found at Amazon and other vendors.

The ECB2500 will give you an Ethernet output from your coax.  You can use that Ethernet output to feed any of many common routers or WAPs out there, Netgear, Linksys, etc. etc.

If you go that route, I suggest you configure the new router as an Access Point,  turning off its DHCP server and other routing features.  I also suggest you set the second router's 2.4 GHz service to a different channel from your G1100 and use a different SSID.

There are differeing opinions on the forum about that last paragraph, but that what works for me.  It lets me clearly see what router I'm connected to, and lets me manually select another router if the one that auto-connected isn't the best for that room in the house.

Good luck.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
N2JDH
Enthusiast - Level 1
I know this is an old post. But, if someone stumbled on it like I did, here is something to check.

Make sure the splitter you use is the same in which verizon is currently using. All else will slow the speeds and cause connectivity issues. Includint the surge protector coax protection.