Quantum and mesh wifi troubleshooting
tpitch14

I'll preface this by saying I know that VZ won't help troubleshoot when using my own router, but I'm also seeing abnormal speeds with their Quantum router.

TL;DR- My wifi speeds are pretty pitiful since switching from the Quantum router to a Velop mesh system.

Full Story: I'm only a few weeks into my Gigabit service and can't quite figure out why the performance of my new mesh wifi system is suffering...

Setup: ONT (I-211M-K) running coax to Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA converter (for TV) and Cat 5e to master Velop node WAN. Velop LAN to unmanaged switch. This effectively took the Quantum router out of the mix, so that part is good. I was running one single node in a center location of the house and seeing 180-270 down and 170s up for a day... the next day (and ever since) I have been averaging 50-80 down and 170s up... what gives?

The best I've seen on wifi sitting right next to the router with a Pixel XL has been 300 down, and that was the first day.

---

Since the above I've tried quite a few different things. I went back to a "fresh install" with the Quantum, taking out the MoCA adapter, and speed tested on Verizon's site- 949/924. So seems like I'm provisioned correctly. But I hardwired and got 260/777 on Ookla and 73/376 wireless sitting next to the Quantum.

Next, I went back to the well with the Velop and did a DSLReports speedtest, which gave me 186/380 hardwired.

Then, I tried the Quantum on the same DSLReports speedtest, and got 671/926.

What could possibly be causing the Velop to only achieve a third of the wired speed of the Quantum, and such poor wifi speeds? Wifi speeds are not great on the Quantum either, but they generally sit higher than the 50-80down/160up of the Velop...

I also tried using the Quantum in the primary position, turning off the wifi, and running the Velop WAN to Quantum LAN. Ran it both normally and in bridge mode, both to no avail...

Pretty perplexed and hoping someone can suggest some next steps...

0 Likes
Re: Quantum and mesh wifi troubleshooting
jonjones1
Legend

I am going to answer half the question.

wifi speeds are never ever going to be any where near 940/880 on even the best day.

verizon Fios only accepts the direct connection to the router with a computer to their own proprietary network test site, no other is accepted. The numbers you listed for Fios speedtest is within their up to claim.

you can test all over the net on many services but they are not accepted by Fios.

and I say (write) this over and over and over......WiFi is not counted for anything. Too many variables to make it reliable.

0 Likes
tpitch14

Appreciate that feedback and well aware of the wifi variables, but what about the wired connection??

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If I understood correctly, you were fine when using Quantum router and hardwired to it.

But have speed issues when using other equipment?

0 Likes
tpitch14

Hardwired on the Quantum was a mixed bag, but it did achieve 671/926. But it has also achieved sub 300's on hardwired.

Hardwired on a third party mesh system has typically yielded ~200mbps down ~350 up.

0 Likes
tpitch14

I'm following up on this topic because a lot has happened in the almost month since I originally posted- I have been troubleshooting with engineers at Linksys, performing a myriad of tests on both my Velop system and an EA9500 they sent me to try out.  We went back to the well with the Quantum router by itself (call it a "fresh VZ install") setup and ran the following:

• Hardwired Quantum to laptop, tested two server locations on Ookla, resulted in 173/939 and 266/927 speedtests.
  • Verizon's own speed test site showed me "poor connection on router" and that test timed out. Device test showed 802/858.
  • Wifi speed tests averaging 80 down with client right next to the Quantum.

So I have really poor download speeds across the board- how am I able to address this with you Verizon??  I'm not getting the gigabit I'm signed up for! I know wifi is affected by a lot, but when my hardwired speeds aren't even pushing 200 there is an issue...

I don't even know where to begin with contacting Support, but this doesn't seem like a first or second level situation. Anyone have any suggestions how to approach??

0 Likes