Quantum slowness with Gigabit Ethernet
PatC_FIOS

Signed a contract for Gigabit Ethernet in Aug. Although some reduction in speed expected with Wi-Fi relative to being hard-wired, we're barely getting above 200 Mbps upload and primarily less than 100 Mbps download. Wi-fi was much better with a previous quantum router that we had for two years. We've reset the router multiple times manually, have the same configuration used with the old router, and it's still noticeably slow as if we never upgraded. Can support staff check to determine whether my fios service is configured/provisioned correctly on your end? Wi-Fit shouldn't drop out that bad! Might need route replaced!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Quantum slowness with Gigabit Ethernet
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon and other providers only guarantee direct connections from your device to their router. They don’t support any other routers.

Wifi speeds depend on the device it’s self and it’s radio, the distance from the WiFi router, the band you connect at, internal versus external antennas, signal reaching those devices, plaster walls, windows, masonry, and metal in house construction all will affect the wifi. Even other people router's cause interference. 

That is why wifi is not supported.

PatC_FIOS

I completely understand Verizon only guaranteeing wired connectivity as well as interference...certainly more than the average as someone who works in technology and has related professional experience. However, it is extremely unusual and in acceptable for the wifi access point to drop out by over 75%. This also does not resolve my question...doesn’t come close.

i explicitly asked that I be placed in contact with a tech support rep who can verify whether my speed has been provisioned correctly in my account. With literally the same setup as my previous quantum router, that I personally custom configured because nearly half dozen Fios Tech had no idea how to troubleshoot at an advanced level to minimize interference (to the point of having speeds well above the 75/75 that was being paid for)...there should be no legitimate reason why drop is so bad. Not even an hour ago, speedtest shows 176/167 as opposes to 940/880 (wired) or minimally ~630/590 (wireless, with ~1/3 drop out). Something is clearly configured incorrectly on Fios’s end when services literally worked better than expected days prior to current services being brought up.

so I ask again, to have someone to verify whether my service is configured/provisioned properly in Verizon’s system. Either that or provide another router given if setup correctly on Verizon side and my configuration has NOT changed, the wifi antenna could be faulty given it is a new quantum router as opposed to the old quantum router that was being rented.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You must call 1-800-VERIZON and ask for tech support. Or you can use chat or Twitter to have them check provisioned speeds.

no one here is a Verizon tech. This is a customer helping customer forum.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PatC_FIOS wrote:

I completely understand Verizon only guaranteeing wired connectivity as well as interference...certainly more than the average as someone who works in technology and has related professional experience. However, it is extremely unusual and in acceptable for the wifi access point to drop out by over 75%. This also does not resolve my question...doesn’t come close.

i explicitly asked that I be placed in contact with a tech support rep who can verify whether my speed has been provisioned correctly in my account. With literally the same setup as my previous quantum router, that I personally custom configured because nearly half dozen Fios Tech had no idea how to troubleshoot at an advanced level to minimize interference (to the point of having speeds well above the 75/75 that was being paid for)...there should be no legitimate reason why drop is so bad. Not even an hour ago, speedtest shows 176/167 as opposes to 940/880 (wired) or minimally ~630/590 (wireless, with ~1/3 drop out). Something is clearly configured incorrectly on Fios’s end when services literally worked better than expected days prior to current services being brought up.

so I ask again, to have someone to verify whether my service is configured/provisioned properly in Verizon’s system. Either that or provide another router given if setup correctly on Verizon side and my configuration has NOT changed, the wifi antenna could be faulty given it is a new quantum router as opposed to the old quantum router that was being rented.

If you are getting wired speeds then they are provisioned probably. Wifi has nothing to do with it. You either have a bad router or there is some interference to the wifi. That being said the G1100 quantum router wifi is awful. I would recommend turning the wifi off and getting your own wireless access point. I use a Ubiquiti AC lite WAP and get double the coverage of the G1100.