Questions about my 6110 Bridge Modem
gdefeyter

Is there any way to get modem statistics from a 6110 bridge modem? As I understand it this is a dumb device that doesn't even have a log-in screen. I though the Westell diagnostic.exe utility might do the trick but was unable to get it to connect to the modem even when I took my router out of the circuit.

I normally have my 6110 connected to a Belkin F5D8235 Wireless N / 4 port Gigabit Switch and it works great at 1 Mbps / 384 Kbps, but if I connect it directly to a PC via the ethernet port I can't connect to the internet at all. Why is that? Does a bridge modem have to connect to a router to function at all? I'm just curious as to why this experiment didn't work as expected.

When I made a direct connection between the modem and my laptop I reset the 6110, tried sending ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew commands, set up the PC with a static IP address and anything else I could think of but could find no way to make a connection to the internet without using the router.

With or without the the router, the 6110 is un-pingable at 192.168.1.1 and a browser pointed to this IP is unable to connect.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Questions about my 6110 Bridge Modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can give directions to you on what to do..

If you were not using Windows, the directions would be a little bit different.

I will give to you two ways of doing it, since I don't know all of the equipment that you have is.

--

#1 Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

#2 Download the tool.

#3 If your computer does not have at least two NICs ( one of them must be a wired type ! ) and you do not have a Hub or Switch  (that is not part of a router) disconnect your computer from the Belkin.

#4 Set your computer to use..

IP Address: 192.168.1.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The Default Gateway and DNS Settings, you may leave blank for what you are trying to do.

#5 Connect your computer to the modem.

#6 Install the tool that is addresed in that FAQ.

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#8 Done.

#9 Now to get back online, reverse it. This means...

a) Disconnect computer from the Westell

b) Change back to DHCP.

c) Connect your computer back to the Belkin.

d) Release and renew the IP Address on your computer as need be.

--

If your computer has at least two NICs ( one of them must be a wired type ! ) and you have a Hub or Switch  (that is not part of a router).

#1 Do Steps one and two above.

#2 Disconnect the Belkin from the Westell.

#3 Connected to the Westell is a wire and the other end is free. The end that is free connects to the port next to the uplink port on the Hub/Switch (that is if your hub/switch has an uplink port).

#4 Connect the Belkin to any other port on the Hub/Switch but not the uplink or the port in use by the Westell.

#5 If the Belkin's LAN IP does not start with 192.168.1, on a wired NIC set it to use...

IP Address: 192.168.1.6

#6 But if the Belkin's LAN IP starts with 192.168.1, on a wired NIC set it to use...

IP Address: 192.168.2.6

#7 While you might not have a Linksys, I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267 Please see the Recommended method that the owner of the FAQ wrote about.

#8 Connect that wired NIC that you setup an Static IP, to any other port on the Hub/Switch but not the uplink, the port in use by the Westell or in use by the Belkin.

#9 Install the tool that is addresed in that FAQ that talked about the Westell.

--

Also notice in the FAQ where they talk about a Linksys: They tell users what to do if they have a hub but do not have two NICs.

If you have any questions, please ask.

0 Likes
gdefeyter

Thank-you for the detailed and easy to follow instructions. I apologize for neglecting to mention that I’m using WinXP Pro SP3 and that the default IP address of the Belkin router is 192.168.2.1.

Using your 1st method I hooked up a desktop PC directly to the modem and was at least able to load the Diagnostic Icon utility and get it to run long enough to see the Ctrl-Alt-F7 tabs, but I was still unable to get it to communicate with the modem. All fields on the administrative tab were filled with data that could only have come from the modem. (Model number, serial number, software version, etc.) And yet, at the bottom of the screen a yellow “Waiting For Data” soon becomes a red “No Communication with Modem.” and then a “Find Modem” window pops up and the application begins searching in vain for a modem at the “computed broadcast IP address” of 192.168.1.255.

The fields in all of the other tabs remained empty.

At this point I was at least able to ping 192.168.1.1 and get a response. I’m assuming that this is the IP address of the modem even though it has no browser accessible menu screens.

I was also still unable to connect to the internet at all using just the modem. The DSL light on the modem is a steady bright green and the Data light flickers when I open IE8 but the browser is unable to connect to anything. I’m sure both problems are somehow related.

I’d call customer service for help but I can’t really claim to have a problem when I know that all I have to do is to re-connect the modem to my Belkin router and everything will start working as it should. I’m supposed to get a service upgrade tomorrow at the 4-7 Mbps level so I think I’ll wait to see how that goes before getting VZ involved.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gdefeyter wrote:

At this point I was at least able to ping 192.168.1.1 and get a response. I’m assuming that this is the IP address of the modem even though it has no browser accessible menu screens.

I thought your modem does not have a web browser IU, but perhaps it does?

Directions:

When you computer is directly connected to the Westell, and has the Static IP settings that I told you use:

#1 Try to go to http://192.168.1.1/ .

#2 Choose Troubleshooting, and then click Transceiver Statistics.

#3 Then If using Verizon-branded firmware (should be Red and Black), go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics.

#4 Post up the information you see on that page.

#5 If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

--

If that does not work,

#1 Try resettting it.

For example..

Press the reset button/switch as you turn off and back on the power to the Westell.

#2 Try to get accces the web browser UI.

#3 If that fails, try that tool in the FAQ about the Westell.

--

If that does not work try again, but this time: Make sure that before turning off the power to the Westell and after turning on the power, to hold that reset button/switch for at least 5 seconds.

#1 Again, try to get access to 192.168.1.1 (web browser UI).

#2 Again try that tool in tha FAQ about the Westell

--

If that does not work:

#1 Disconnect your computer from the Westell.

#2 Set your computer to use DHCP, as need be.

#3 Connect your computer to your router.

#4 Connect the router to the Westell.

#5 Once back oniine, come to this board and report back what happened.

^^

0 Likes