Questions about quantum gateway router
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I currently have an Actiontec router. I want to upgrade my router. I google searched for the Quantum Gateway router & found it in the business section. Quantum Gateway Router

Yet when I search for the Quantum router on the Verizon website, it doesn't show up. Only the model 3100 shows up.

Why is the Quantum router in the business section? Can residents still get the Quantum router instead of the model 3100?

Whichever router I get, I know that I must call Verizon & ask them to turn on the ethernet port. I'm somewhat tech savvy. Can I run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router or must a Verizon tech do it?

0 Likes
Re: Questions about quantum gateway router
jonjones1
Legend

You can purchase a G1100 off of amazon. Just make sure it’s not flashed with the frontier firmware. Also you can run a ethernet cable from the router (any router even customer bought) as you want to do. It’s a simple call to verizon to be switched over.

however in certain cases the ONT may have to be switched out. If that is the case someone will have to be sent out from Verizon.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader
@pcnerd wrote:

Why is the Quantum router in the business section? Can residents still get the Quantum router instead of the model 3100?

Verizon only offers the G3100 to residential customers, not business. The still do offer G1100 to business customers. Just do a Guest checkout and you should be able to order it on the site. 

@pcnerd wrote:

Can I run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router or must a Verizon tech do it?

Yes and as of right now you will have to do it yourself. Verizon techs aren't entering the home now during Covid-19. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Can one buy the G1100 form Amazon or eBay? I watched a YouTube video. The narrator bought a G1100 from eBay.

There's very little hardware that's compatible with wifi6. So, why is Verizon pushing the G3100 over the G1100?

One used to have the option of renting or buying the G1100. Now that's not an option anymore. I also noticed that the G3100 is $100 more than the G1100.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

How do I find out if the router is not flashed with the Frontier firmware?

...however in certain cases the ONT may have to be switched out. If that is the case someone will have to be sent out from Verizon.

Why would it have to be switched out? How would I know if the ONT has to be switched out? I doubt if I could get that done any time soon because of Covid-19.

I just wonder what my router upgrade options are. Buy a G1100 from Amazon or eBay or buy a G3100.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

Can one buy the G1100 form Amazon or eBay? I watched a YouTube video. The narrator bought a G1100 from eBay.

There's very little hardware that's compatible with wifi6. So, why is Verizon pushing the G3100 over the G1100?

One used to have the option of renting or buying the G1100. Now that's not an option anymore. I also noticed that the G3100 is $100 more than the G1100.

Yes you can. The only issue is sometimes they aren't actually owned from the person selling them and Verizon will try and charge you for them as well. 

As far as the G3100 goes, I guess Verizon is just keeping up with technology. All the major router manufacturers have wifi6 routers too.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Wait a minute!

I buy a G1100 from Amazon & then Verizon charges me for it??? WHY???

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pcnerd wrote:

How do I find out if the router is not flashed with the Frontier firmware?

...however in certain cases the ONT may have to be switched out. If that is the case someone will have to be sent out from Verizon.

Why would it have to be switched out? How would I know if the ONT has to be switched out? I doubt if I could get that done any time soon because of Covid-19.

I just wonder what my router upgrade options are. Buy a G1100 from Amazon or eBay or buy a G3100.

Just make sure there is a good return policy if you get it from Amazon or Ebay. You will only need to switch out the ONT if you have and older model and upgrading from 75/75 to 100/100 or more. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

It's a pain in the butt to get the cover open on the ONT.

I originally had a white ONT. It was swapped out because I was having problems with my TV. I have a black ONT. I don't see a model number. Where do I find the model number? On the inside of the door I see:

tii

ont-enc-vz

I'm paying for 100/100. The slowest speed that Verizon offers is 200/200. I suppose that I can get a free upgrade to 200/200.

But before I can upgrade to 200/200 I have to replace the router.

Where is the ethernet connector inside the box?

I read some reviews on Amazon. One can't guarantee that one will get a genuine Verizon router from Amazon or eBay. It may be a Frontier router. It may work fine or die shortly after installation. And there's the hassle of returning the router & getting a refund. I'm better off buying a genuine Verizon router. Does Verizon sell refurbished routers?

Can I get tech support from Verizon if I buy the router?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have 100/100 with the black ONT then you are good. That ONT is rated for gigabit. The ethernet port is between the two phone ports and power cable. It's fiber, power, ethernet, phone, ground, coax. 

At $200 you should get a new router. The Actiontec has gigabit ports, so you could also disable wifi and connect a wireless access point.