RDC problem with Actiontec Router
agross0524

Hi,

Today we had our internet switched over from Brighthouse to Verizon. With this exchange we were given an actiontec GT784WNV modem/router. Well ever since this change... I can still connect my VPN but I cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to control the computer I am VPN'ing into. Any idea?

0 Likes
Re: RDC problem with Actiontec Router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sounds like you might need to port forward RDC   

Forward TCP port 3389

www.simpleportforwarding.com has an auto port forward tool

or you can manually configure 

Actiontec GT784WNV: Enable Port Forwarding | High ... - Verizon

0 Likes
agross0524

Hubrisnxs,

Thanks for your reply. I have done that already yet no dice. The connection sits there for a good minute and then comes back that the pc is not available or could be offline. I will go back and check it, but I did forward that port. I am not sure if there is something with this modem/router and RDP connections. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

double check your basics if it's port forwarded properly in the router.

Common Problems & Fixes For Port Forwarding | PcWinTech.com™

maybe something is going on that isn't in the router. 

0 Likes
agross0524

So the computer through the VPN that I want to connect to with RDC's IP is 192.168.1.8. So I want to forward the port using that IP address correct?

I have insured that the Router itself will not assign 192.168.1.8 to any machine in the office by changing the IP range on the router to 192.168.1.100 to .245. This should insure that there is no IP conflict. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that's right,  also make sure your windows firewall did not lose the exception rule.

http://www.home-network-help.com/windows-7-remote-desktop.html

allow remote desktop traffic on firewall

0 Likes
agross0524

I know it didn't lose the exception as it works on the Cable interenet that is still currently running in the office (they wont turn it off until this situation gets fixed). So I will try the port forwarding today when I get there, but I am 85% sure I set that up right and it still wasnt working. 

0 Likes
agross0524

That is a no go. Still not working after checking all of that. I know it cant be the settings on the computer as it works if I am logged in to our brighthouse cable. It must be the internet or the router. 

0 Likes
agross0524

I have come to the conclusion that Verizon doesnt have any one in their tech department that knows about how to troubleshoot their own devices. Clearly it is a router/internet issue as I can still connect to my VPN/RDP through my old internet and after a week of trying I still can't get it to go with Verizon's DSL. I remember why I left Verizon wireless a few years ago... because their customer support was just horrible and they are showing the same here again. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you're using a VPN, make sure you

1: Double check your MTU. DSL uses an MTU of 1492 rather than 1500 which is what most Cable modem services use. Fragmentation over a VPN can cause some odd issues like this.

2: If the ActionTec has such options available, double check ALG/VPN Passthrough. Sometimes they can mess with VPN connections.

If you're still having issues, what sort of VPN or protocol is this you're trying to use?

0 Likes