RJ11 to RJ45 for router
InternetKuru
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I have an RJ11 wall jack in my room that I currently want to convert to RJ45 so my router can be relocated. I don't know which cable belongs to which room in the phone line. I also don't know where to plug in the RJ45 cable after it is converted. Please help and if possible link equipment I could use since the only thing I have are screwdrivers. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: RJ11 to RJ45 for router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have FiOS or DSL?  If FiOS is your router on MoCA or Ethernet WAN? What router are you using? To do what you want to do there has to be cat5e behind the RJ11 jack. It also has to be a straight run back to the ONT with no splices going to other RJ11 jacks. You would plug into the ethernet WAN usually white connection on router. 

InternetKuru
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi I have Fios. I'm pretty sure my router is running off of ethernet wan. But there is a coax cable connected to it and I think that might be for the ont for the cable box. My router is g1100. I've checked behind the RJ11 wall jack and it is definitely cat5e. There are 4 pairs. Here's another complicated thing I always need to explain. I have a coax wall jack in my room that isn't even plugged in. Just ridiculous. I knew something was up when I tried plugging in my verizon wifi extender(access point) and it didn't have an indicator light for coax. I got a screwdriver and looked behind the wall jack and saw that it wasn't plugged in and there were 2 cables in there. Neither of which even had heads on them. I complained about this to Verizon and they kept saying I needed an technician to come over and it would cost money. That is just straight up ridiculous and they want me to pay for their mistake? Sorry for sounding like I'm on a rant but I think everyone would be unhappy with Verizon about this. But I want to start using another router and am currently discussing this with my family. I have 1 gigabit internet. But from what I read on the forums, isn't the coax cable connected to the router for the cable box so it can have streaming services? Correct me if wrong but sorry for the late reply and thanks for replying!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have gigabit then yes your WAN connection from the ONT is ethernet. The coax connected to the router creates a MoCA LAN for the cable boxes for things like TV Guide, Multi-room DVR, and OnDemand. If you want to move your router you will have to trace the cat5e the RJ11 jack to wherever it begins. This can be typically in a basement or garage. You will also need a MoCA adapter if you want to use your own router. I found the cheapwst one is Verizon's FiOS Network Adapter which is $55. 

As far as wiring goes, any wiring inside the house is considered billable. The installation doesn't include wiring every jack in the house. Since Verizon isn't making house calls due to Covid-19 you might need to do the wiring yourself. For the coax you'll need a stripper, compression tool, and compression fittings. For the ethernet you'll typically need a punchdown tool with a 110 blade and maybe a tone generator and probe to identify the wires. 

0 Likes