Re: Can't Access DVR via Internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah. I'm not even sure if Verizon allows Remote DVR on a non-Verizon router. I don't remember hearing of anyone getting the Remote DVR working, at least not without some trickery with some more specialized gear (Linux PC as router).

The concept is pretty much the same. You may wish to do both TCP and UDP to the Set Top boxes, and then clone the MAC address of an ActionTec router to see if that helps any. The source and destination port concept is still the same. If your router supports Multicasting, you may also want to see if that helps any as well once you've ensured you have forwarded the ports correctly.

0 Likes
JohhnyB

let me be clear, the router is Verizon. But I'm on their DSL service not FiOS.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, right. I completely blanked over the original model of the router which kicked me off the island. I was assuming FiOS since it's in the FiOS forum 🙂

For this keep http://canyouseeme.org/ handy and use it to test to see if any ports you're looking to forward show as open or closed. Closed means the device is most likely not running or the wrong device as the destination. Timed out means something is wrong causing there to be no communication (Firewall, Port Forwarding entry) and Open is obviously what it's intended for.

One thing to check in the ActionTec is the Firewall. If the setting is set to anything but Low or No Security/Off it may be blocking your port forwarding entries, even if they are correct. You may wish to start off with No Security as a base first. Also, shut UPnP off if it's on as that will in some cases interfere with your port forwarding rules. For your port forwarding rules, the entry that might throw off your rule if the box exists is the "Port Map" box. This must be filled in the same as your starting port.

0 Likes
JohhnyB

Sorry i posted in the wrong area, it's my first post. On "canyouseeme" everything is fine, and I have the firewall "off". Should i post this in a differnet area?

thanks for your help

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You shouldn't need to re-post this. A forum moderator can move the thread when they see it.

If the ports are checking as open, then you'll want to try visiting your camera using an outside connection. What you may be seeing here is a lack of Loopback support in the network if you're trying to visit, say somecamera.dyndns.org in your web browser from within your network. A web proxy may be a good test or a neighbor's Internet connection too.

0 Likes
JohhnyB

i did try an outside conection, no luck.

0 Likes