Re-running coax and ethernet from box?
hicarbon
Enthusiast - Level 2

When our house was first built and cable ran, they did a crap job with the second floor (ran the coax from the box mounted on the back, up the side of the house and into one room. Then ran a cable from a splitter through the attic on the side to the room on the other end of the house).

I am planning on re-running the cable as well as wiring ethernet for the second floor. Am I able to replace the coax and ethernet currently plugged into the box mounted on the back of the house myself, or do I have to get a tech out to open the box and do it? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Re-running coax and ethernet from box?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah that will work out great. For some reason cable splitters go from 4 port to 6 ports. Just put a 75 Ohm male terminator on the unused port. 

https://www.showmecables.com/f-type-male-terminator-75-ohm/

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. A flathead screwdriver or 3/8 nutdriver will open it up. If you are running coax and ethernet to all the second floor make sure you run one ethernet/coax from each room back to a single termination point. Like the basement or utility area. You don't want any hidden cable splitters. All your coax should terminate at one splitter. Also use good structure cabling. Don't use the crappy pre-made type.

hicarbon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! I went out and looked and it does look like they ran the cable out of the box to a splitter mounted to the back of the house and then ran one into the foundation to the downstairs rooms and then the god awful ugly cable along the side of the house. The cable from the splitter going into the crawl space area (it's a cape cod) has a 3 way on it. I think what I'll do is maybe change it to a 4 way under the house so I can run the one line up to the second floor, then split it at the top to go to each room. The only thing I'm worried about is all the splitters and signal weakness, but I dont think the distance is too bad to really impact it.

hicarbon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually I'm going to do away with the first splitter, run the cable from the box to under the house to a 5 way splitter and then a cable to each room so there is only one splitter on the whole setup

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah that will work out great. For some reason cable splitters go from 4 port to 6 ports. Just put a 75 Ohm male terminator on the unused port. 

https://www.showmecables.com/f-type-male-terminator-75-ohm/