Recently getting ~200-900 kb on 25 Mb plan. Help?
Gilby1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here in Cerritos, California, ever since we started using Verizon Fios, our bandwidth was fantastic....until recently.

Over the past few weeks it has been slowly degrading, to the point where I can't even stream a simple 480p YouTube video.  Download speeds are atrocious -- it took me nearly 25 minutes to download Netlimiter Monitor to help me diagnose the issue (I was sure it was something on my end at first).

I'm fairly knowledgeable, and I have done everything I can, but to no avail.  Speed tests to servers in the Southern California area are giving extremely inconsistent results.  Every now and then it hits 15-20 Mb during a speed test, but the vast majority don't average above 200 kb.

Right now, I am trying to download a patch for Star Trek online, and I am getting 490 kbits (that's kilobits, not kilobytes).

Based on another thread I found here, I tried swapping to Google's public DNS servers and flushing my DNS cache, but to no avail.  I cannot get speeds over 1 Mb, and we used to get a heck of a lot more.  We're on a 25 Mb plan.

Help?  I feel like if I call Verizon they're just going to endlessly explain to me that it's "probably" my Network card, or my computer, or spend an hour explaining to me what "ping" is.  (It's not just this machine, yes I have tried resetting the router / modem)

Re: Recently getting ~200-900 kb on 25 Mb plan. Help?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

besides rebooting and resetting your router, you may also want to reboot your ONT. go over to your battery backup unit and there will be a blue button that says "alarm silence" push and hold that button for 15 seconds. That should reboot your fiber optic system. See if that helps.

If that doesnt work you can also try rebooting the system by unplugging the electric cord from the ONT and removing the battery. let set about half a minute, then reconnect the power and battery.

if all else fails I'd call Verizon. On the few times that my speed has dipped over the years they have been excellent in helping me restore it.

dietofworms
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey, I can't help you but I live in Norwalk (right across the street from Cerritos) and I'm having the exact same problem. Definitely a problem on Verizon's end.

0 Likes
HollywoodEX

I'm in Artesia and I am also having issues with FiOS. I'm on the 15/5 plan and my download speed has dropped to 2-3Mb. The upload is fine though, so I also have no idea as to what is going on.

0 Likes
jlai
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also reporting in from Cerritos, CA as well. I'm getting very erratic ping speeds from pingtest.net with alot of jitter.  Very unstable and unreliable connection. Really noticeable when streaming (very slow) or playing games (constantly getting dropped).

I experienced this same problem back in November. Multiple techs had to come out and could not diagnose the problem even after replacing my router and outside box. Eventually they realized it was something on their end when multiple people in the area reported the same issue and fixed something within the network.  I'm gonna guess its the same thing type of thing this time. Nothing changed on my end yet the internet performance went down the drain. Finally went through all the hoops with tech support chat and they're sending a tech out on Sunday afternoon. 

I'm not gonna lie, I chose FiOS because of the reported reliability and stability.. needless to say I'm a bit disappointed.