Regular early morning downtime?
NouvelleVoix

As I suffer from insomnia, I am awake at odd hours of the day, and I have noticed that my FIOS Internet access frequently cuts out most mornings starting between 3:00AM - 7:00 AM and can last several hours. While that is certainly frusterating enough, my Internet access doesn't just cut out -- it flickers on and off. My router is fine (I've reset it several times these past few months), and so is my computer... I will just randomly suddenly be unable to access the Internet for 2-5 minutes, at which point it will start working again. This happens fairly frequently, too -- not all mornings, but quite a few.

Am I supposed to just deal with this, or is this unintended? Because it's really, really irritating to finally be able to get back to my game or Internet browsing only to have it suddenly stop working again.

EDIT: It turns out that the outages can happen as frequently as once a minute and can last for even less than that.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Regular early morning downtime?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

During these moments of downtime, could you obtain your router's system logs to see if perhaps the issue can be pinpointed? There shouldn't be any drop-outs of the service during the night. The logs can be found by logging into the router at http://192.168.1.1/ with the Username of admin, and the password being your router's Serial Number, and from there, choosing System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then System Logging. If you can, provide to us the log via Pastebin.com, since the forum tends to eat logs at times for being too long in length.

Do you by any chance have FiOS TV or FiOS Phone as well? Do those services experience problems as well around the time of the drop-outs?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Not down during those hours for me. Thats the time where I logon and do most of mey emails, etc.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

During these moments of downtime, could you obtain your router's system logs to see if perhaps the issue can be pinpointed? There shouldn't be any drop-outs of the service during the night. The logs can be found by logging into the router at http://192.168.1.1/ with the Username of admin, and the password being your router's Serial Number, and from there, choosing System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then System Logging. If you can, provide to us the log via Pastebin.com, since the forum tends to eat logs at times for being too long in length.

Do you by any chance have FiOS TV or FiOS Phone as well? Do those services experience problems as well around the time of the drop-outs?

0 Likes
JCricket1

It definitely happens to me as well and is super frustrating.  I end up using my wireless network ( not Wi-Fi ) for a while and giving up on Wi-Fi for the night.  I always feel I will call in the morning if the service is still down, and by morning time, it’s back up.  Very frustrating.

0 Likes
JCricket1

It could be the ONT

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

When do you see the downtime? Wireline operations team conduct repair and maintenance between 12am and 6am. This period of time is deemed as the "safe hours."

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes