Remote Camera Viewing
Not applicable

I posted a question about a week ago because I couldn't figure out how to view security cameras remotely. I finally figured it out and for this past week was able to remotely view cameras. Today I am not able to view them. What could have changed? Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Remote Camera Viewing
Not applicable

I am not too sure my post should have been moved to this section. My previous post was under High Speed Internet (DSL) where all the other remote camera questions are posted. If someone can please take the time to read my previous post to catch up, I would greatly appreciate it.

In a nutshell, my problem originated when I bought an AirPort Extreme Base Station.  I also have a Westell 6100G. I put the Westell into bridge mode. I input port mapping into AirPort and finally got the cameras to work remotely for only a week.

As of today, I cannot remotely view my cameras. I did not change any settings. When I try to view remotely I get the following message - unknown device IP/host.

Thanks for any help. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Using any web based port checker: Are the ports open?

For example the one at http://www.canyouseeme.org/

#2 If not: Try rebooting the cameras and DVR.

#3 If you access this/these camera(s) by IP Address, you are entering the correct Public IP Address?

#4 If you access this/these camera(s) by domain name, they have the correct Public IP Address?

0 Likes
Not applicable

The Port is open. I have the correct IP address. I did reboot the DVR, which gave it another IP address which I updated in Airport Extreme port mapping. I did have it working for a week and POOF cameras are gone remotely.

Here is what is strange. When I connect directly into our WiFi at home I am able to view remotely view cameras. It seems to be only through the internet. Something is not seeing something. And I get that error message Unknown Device IP/Host when I try to connect remotely.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am taking an educated guess as to what is wrong.

I point you to

http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Disable UPnP in the router if it's enabled, and also temporarily disable the modem's Firewall if it's on to see if that results the Port Mapping issue.

0 Likes