Replace G1100 with bonded Moca 2.5 adapter
Viggen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried searching the forums but I'm too confused to discern if a similar question was asked and answered.   I have Fios ethernet cable from ONT to my G1100 router. I'm trying to add the Trendnet X60 Deco extender along with the 3 goCoax 2.5 bonded Moca adapters I have purchased so I can use the Deco on each level plugged into the GoCoax via coax so that the speeds are good on all levels at home. I also have a tivo Roamio Pro for which I need Moca working. Can I create a Moca network without the G1100? Can someone tell me like to a dummy as this seems to be way over my head and I overestimated my comprehensive abilities 😭

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replace G1100 with bonded Moca 2.5 adapter
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer, yes, but without tested by myself.

First, MoCA adapters do not distinguish encoders and decoders.

Second, speed table by MoCA version:

MoCA 1.0 at 100Mbps

MoCA 1.1 at 175Mbps

MoCA 2.0 at 500Mbps

Bonded MoCA 2.0 at 1Gbps

MoCA 2.5 at 2.5Gbps

All MoCAs are backward compatible, and all devices can share a coax connection (in parallel fashion). Different MoCA versions can mix and match. They operate at highest mutually supported versions.

G1100 has a built-in Coax adapter (WAN or LAN, I use it for LAN) supporting MoCA 1.0/1.1/2.0 only. Tivo Roamio Pro seems to have MoCA 1.1/2.0. Your three MoCA adapters are MoCA 1.1/2.0/2.5. So connect all of them on the same coax wire (of course with splitters), you get MoCA 2.0 at the fastest 500Mbps. Assuming you have Gigabit subscription (980/800Mbps), using the MoCA 2.0 LAN Coax on G1100 will bottleneck everything to 500Mbps, so you want to bypass the G1100 MoCA.

You can just purchase another MoCA 2.5 adapter to replace the LAN Coax port on G1100, and plug a G1100 LAN port to the adapter. Now, you will be bottlenecked at 1.0Gbps of the LAN port. If you think 500Mbps on each floor is enough for WiFi, then I suggest you to return all the MoCA 2.5 adapters and purchase ECB5240M from Verizon. It costs $55.00, I think cheaper than goMoCA 2.5 and you get bunch of ethernet ports on each floor too. If you want 1Gbps, then you can consider purchase ECB6200 from Actiontec/Verizon, still couple bucks cheaper than goMoCA 2.5 each. You need one more to replace the MoCA port on G1100.

If you want a diagram to show all of your devices, please do request me to do that.

If you have more questions, please ask.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer, yes, but without tested by myself.

First, MoCA adapters do not distinguish encoders and decoders.

Second, speed table by MoCA version:

MoCA 1.0 at 100Mbps

MoCA 1.1 at 175Mbps

MoCA 2.0 at 500Mbps

Bonded MoCA 2.0 at 1Gbps

MoCA 2.5 at 2.5Gbps

All MoCAs are backward compatible, and all devices can share a coax connection (in parallel fashion). Different MoCA versions can mix and match. They operate at highest mutually supported versions.

G1100 has a built-in Coax adapter (WAN or LAN, I use it for LAN) supporting MoCA 1.0/1.1/2.0 only. Tivo Roamio Pro seems to have MoCA 1.1/2.0. Your three MoCA adapters are MoCA 1.1/2.0/2.5. So connect all of them on the same coax wire (of course with splitters), you get MoCA 2.0 at the fastest 500Mbps. Assuming you have Gigabit subscription (980/800Mbps), using the MoCA 2.0 LAN Coax on G1100 will bottleneck everything to 500Mbps, so you want to bypass the G1100 MoCA.

You can just purchase another MoCA 2.5 adapter to replace the LAN Coax port on G1100, and plug a G1100 LAN port to the adapter. Now, you will be bottlenecked at 1.0Gbps of the LAN port. If you think 500Mbps on each floor is enough for WiFi, then I suggest you to return all the MoCA 2.5 adapters and purchase ECB5240M from Verizon. It costs $55.00, I think cheaper than goMoCA 2.5 and you get bunch of ethernet ports on each floor too. If you want 1Gbps, then you can consider purchase ECB6200 from Actiontec/Verizon, still couple bucks cheaper than goMoCA 2.5 each. You need one more to replace the MoCA port on G1100.

If you want a diagram to show all of your devices, please do request me to do that.

If you have more questions, please ask.

Viggen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I removed the G1100 from the setup. I think the GoCoax was the problem in my case. Using GoCoax 2.5, my TiVo boxes could not be a Moca Client as no Moca network existed! As soon as I removed it, my TiVo boxes could see each other as the Roamio Pro can create a Moca network on its own.

I plan to return the GoCoax for now and use the Deco's on its own. I will look into an Actiontec Moca 2.5 when it comes out.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You only need Bonded MoCA 2.0 (not MoCA 2.0). MoCA 2.5 delivers 2.5Gbps, but its speed will be bottlenecked by the 1000Mbps ports on either G1100 or G3100 (if you are looking to upgrade.)

BMWHaj

All MoCA devices configure themselves to fastest mutually supported MoCA device on the network (which is another way of saying the slowest device in a mixed MoCA environment).  Given the devices mentioned, the MoCA network will be capped at MoCA 2.0 because of the TiVo if TiVo MoCA is used.  The way to address this is to get MoCA 2.0 bonded or higher for the TiVo too (not just the at the router) and use the Ethernet port on the TiVo.

0 Likes
TStar11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for this detailed response!  There is not much information on this on the internet.  I tried this solution and it worked with all my other MoCA devices but it didn't connect to my Fios Network Extender.  The WCB6200Q wouldn't connect back to the G1100 through the new Moca adapter.  Do you know if Verizon is preventing this from working or if there is a setting that must be changed to get this to work?  Thanks!

0 Likes
TStar11
Enthusiast - Level 1

After experimentation, I have found that the Fios Actiontec devices (both the network adapter and the network extender WCB6200Q) do not work well (or at all) when MoCA 2.5 devices are added to the network.  This happens even when the Fios devices havie the latest firmware and interoperability is ensured by the MoCA alliance per this link.   http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specifications.htm

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon version WCB6200Q do not work with MoCA 2.5. This is due to a Broadcom chipset defect. Actiontec WCB6200 with the latest firmware do work with MoCA 2.5, but is not perfect.

The advice is to replace WCB6200Q with newer MoCA devices. WCB6200Q should not be used in newer installations.

0 Likes