Replacing Westell 6100 modem with Netgear Genie
earthprime

Good day. I'm replacing Westell 6100 modem with a Netgear Genie. I need the following data to complete hookup. Thanks.

Netgear Broadband ADSL2+ Modem (DMP111SP)

IP Address

Subset Mask

Default gateway

Preferred DNS Server

Alternative DNS Server

0 Likes
Re: Replacing Westell 6100 modem with Netgear Genie
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you pay for a Static IP with a Business account from Verizon ($$$), you'll be using either DHCP or PPPoE (more probable!) to have the network fill that in automatically for you. PPPoE connectivity uses your Verizon username and password. If you're on DHCP, you need to wait a few hours or call Verizon up to break your DHCP lease before trying to connect it, so the Netgear can get that information automatically the next time it connects.

If you're using Netgear's Automatic tool and it is failing to auto-detect the setup, check your Westell 6100's settings and input the settings into the Netgear manually using it's web interface.

0 Likes
earthprime

Hi. I still cannot connect automatically. I can no longer connect to http://192.168.0.1/ to change the settings. I switched back to my Westell 6100 modem. I allegedly have internect conncection yet cannot log onto any web pges. Any suggestions? Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you're plugged into the Westell, use http://192.168.1.1/ to log into the modem. From there, see if your modem shows something along the lines of "Routed Bridge" mode or if it shows "PPPoE" as the connection type. If PPPoE, follow the post I mentioned above. The same goes with Routed Bridge mode. Worst case scenario, call Verizon and have them ensure your Westell is configured correctly if you cannot get online with the Westell, and from there we'll see how the Netgear needs to be configured.

Also, what may have happened here is your Netgear's IP address could have changed. You will want to open up a Command Prompt Window (Start > search for the program "cmd.exe" or go to Start > Run > enter in cmd.exe) and run the command ipconfig. Default Gateway should give the IP of the router you're attached to in a home network.

0 Likes