Require Help - MOCA - FIOS Gigabit Internet
Shaunk23

Hello,

I have seen many discussions on this site regarding the topic, but none that seem to apply to me. I am hoping someone here can provide their knowledge to help me achieve my desired outcome. 

My Current Setup:

ONT (basement)  > Verizon G1100 Router (1st floor) via ETHERNET snaked through wall.  My Verizon G1100 has wifi disabled.  Connected to the G1100 is three apple routers, one on each floor.  Two are hardwired ethernet and one wireless all broadcasting the same network.  Wifi has been great, coverage is great minus a single room in the house, our bedroom!  I believe some device we have is interfering. I elected to try out this MOCA setup.  I bought two actiontech MOCA ECB6200 from amazon. My understanding was i needed to connect one to my router on the first floor and a second one upstairs in my bedroom closet.  I cannot get this to work. When i connect them the way i believe they should be connected  i lose internet or TV.  I am thinking its because my ONT is connected to my router by Ethernet and not COAX?  There is a single coax cable from my G1100 router to a splitter which goes into my wall coax and also to my set top box. I believe this keeps the guide/fios on demand working?   When i look in my router settings it shows the two STB under LAN coax connection, but that is it.  I feel like i am  missing something.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Require Help - MOCA - FIOS Gigabit Internet
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need two ECB6200's, only one -- at the apple device upstairs.   It'll pair with your router automatically.   By connecting the second to the apple device downstairs AND leaving this device connected to the router via ethernet, you're creating a loop (router -> Apple (ethernet) -> ECB6200 -> MoCA -> router (moca)).     When you do this, or other other paths will be shutdown (spanning tree) and it sounds like the MoCA side is getting segmented.

Assume the apples are all in access point mode (none are in router mode -- you can only have one router feeding DHCP addresses to the network -- and it needs to be the router with the default route to the internet -- namely your G1100).

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is your moca adapter connected to router?

You really only need one adapter.

It will connect to the router via coax/MOCA.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need two ECB6200's, only one -- at the apple device upstairs.   It'll pair with your router automatically.   By connecting the second to the apple device downstairs AND leaving this device connected to the router via ethernet, you're creating a loop (router -> Apple (ethernet) -> ECB6200 -> MoCA -> router (moca)).     When you do this, or other other paths will be shutdown (spanning tree) and it sounds like the MoCA side is getting segmented.

Assume the apples are all in access point mode (none are in router mode -- you can only have one router feeding DHCP addresses to the network -- and it needs to be the router with the default route to the internet -- namely your G1100).