Return of router
John811

Quick background: I signed up for a new agreement two years ago (new plan and I requested a digital adapter for the TV).  My agreement expired this month, and Verizon reps could not keep my rates within reason, so I had to cancel service.  (At best, was looking at something like a 40% increase for TV and Internet; at worst, almost double.)

With the service cancellation, I naturally returned the digital adapter I requested.  But Verizon has the gall to ask for my router back.

So here is my story on the router. Verizon sent me a router two years ago.  I don't know why they sent me a router.  I did not ask for a router.  I did not consent to being sent a router.  Verizon did not even inform me that they were going to send me a router.  Is this not a textbook example of unsolicited merchandise?  In my mind, this was a gift that just showed up on my doorstep.

That is my main concern and I would very much appreciate it if a Verizon rep would clear this router off of my account and tell me to keep this router (that is already mine).

I would have approached this completely differently if Verizon had simply informed me that they planned to send me a router.  One short line on the order confirmation - that easy.  I separate email, a phone call.  Anything would have been fine.  But they didn't.  The router was literally a surprise that showed up at my door.  There is just no way that any legitimate company would mail an item out, and expect payment or return of said item, without first informing the recipient about the item being shipped out.  That is just beyond stupid.  I can't even express how ridiculous it is that Verizon is asking for this router back.

As tangents.

- I have no idea why the unsolicited router was sent.

- Verizon reps can't answer my question on why it was sent. (I got some clearly wrong answers though.)

- Verizon reps can't tell me why they would mail something to a customer without notifying the customer.

- When I cancelled my service, I fully expected to be a returning customer at some point.  But this issue leaves me with a very bad sentiment towards Verizon.  Verizon reps are sometimes understanding, but impotent to do anything. One was straight up rude.

Best regards,

John

0 Likes
Re: Return of router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure I understand if you canceled service then why don't you want to return the router. 

0 Likes
John811

My sentiment is that this is my router.  Why would I send my router to Verizon?

I have another Verizon router that I bought previously.  I have no intention of returning that one either, even though it is just sitting unused in a box at the moment.

Just because I don't currently have Verizon Fios service, doesn't mean I want to give away a piece of equipment that can be of use now or in the future.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Let me see if I can figure this one out.

the router you don’t want to return, Did you buy it outright? If you did you are absolutely correct. It belongs to you. See if your have the start service email still. It will say it was purchased. If you have it. You tell Verizon your monthly invoice does not say “rental”

best of luck

0 Likes
John811

@jonjones,

Thanks for the well wishes, but my gut tells me Verizon has no concern for customer satifsaction.

No, I did not purchase this router.  It just showed up at my door, so I considered it a gift.

I did not ask for this router.  Verizon did not inform me they would be sending me a router.

My order confirmation has no mention of a router.

My bill has no mention of a router.

On my bill, under Equipment, is:
  Digital Adapter 1@NoCharge .00

That's it.  No router.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand that you feel that the router is a gift and is yours but I would rather return it versus fighting with the awful call center reps. I would say just return it so you don’t have to deal with them. Because they will definitely charge you and if you don’t pay they will sent to collections. Good luck. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before Verizon began charging for routers, they supplied them for free. They were still Verizon property. So unless you purchased it (which you said you did for one), the router is still Verizon property.

Especially if it is a G1100 router.

I doubt they want the older model routers back.

0 Likes
John811

Thanks all for the feedback so far.  

So I'm wondering, is this Verizon's normal way of doing business?

• Send equipment to the customer even though they did not ask for it.
  • Do not tell the customer you are sending them equipment.
  • Do not document this anywhere.  
  • Be sure to omit it from the order receipt.
  • Be sure to keep it off the bill.
  • Be sure to not include it anywhere on the customer's "My Verizon".
  • Then require the customer to return equipment they may not have even wanted in the first place.

That's certainly not the way I would treat accountable property.

Seriously, I'm really curious now.  For those of you with "free rental" Verizon routers, 

• did you ask for it?
  • did they inform you they'd be sending one out?
  • is it on an order confirmation?
  • is it on your bill?
  • on your "My Verizon"?
0 Likes