Ridiculously Slow Speeds
Mogymog
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've used Verizon in various services for years on my own, never had much problems with them. I then moved in and started taking care of my very elderly grandfather, he uses Verizon internet/phone. He has the 3.1-7mbps connection, and for the $50+ he pays I don't consider it a great deal in the least. But, the point is for the last year since March of last year till about march of this year we reguarly got about 3mbps off and on, despite the fact the service is for 3.1-7 MBPS I have never seen above I think 3.5 in any test every done. Well for the last month give or take, that's tanked into the crapper hard, last few days it's been about 1.2mbps if lucky. My grandfather wanted to get FIOS, cause it was fast and decently affordable but verizon refuses to install it cause apperntly something about being in a manufactured home park is against their policy or some crap.

So I decided to post on these great forum, hoping perhaps someone could point me in a direction. I tried using the 'help' files and I use that word lightly to see if they had any recomondations and about laughed myself to death as one of their 'recomondations' is to clean your HDD and have plenty of space which in no way would effect internet speed. So here I am. I have run several different speed tests on several different sites and different places. Averaing a 34ms ping, 1.2mbps down, .75mbps up. Am wondering if I am going to be forced to get a Tech to come out and do real physical work out here.

0 Likes
Re: Ridiculously Slow Speeds
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

Mogymog
Enthusiast - Level 1

Though suppose this is a bit late.. Just, been disgusted with things for awhile. Just so mad at reading things about Verizon, and realizing how they are just so {please keep your posts courteous} things on purpose.. But, I found the solution to the problem, this particular problem wasn't caused by Verizon unfortunetly, it was caused by my computer. A program on my computer freaked out when I plugged in a new ethernet cable in and was causing the slowdown issues. I removed the program and it fixed itself as it where. The speeds still crap, but it's what I expect from copper wires that verizon refuses to fix. But I thanks for the offered support anyways.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

By chance was this program AMD Quick Stream?

0 Likes