Roku and Vizio TV won't stream netflix or other video
hudsongirl

For the past four years, I've had no problem streaming Netflix over my Roku box (I have high-speed dsl).  Then two months ago, it stopped streaming.   I've been on the phone with Roku for hours and tried everything, including buying a new Roku box.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the Roku, since I tried it at another location (on a much slower Verizon dsl connection) and it works fine.  So I bought a Vizio apps TV -- I have no problem connecting wirelessly or connecting to Yahoo News or Yahoo Finance, but it won't stream at all (Netflix, YouTube, etc.)  Vizio sent a repairman and there's nothing wrong with my TV.  They say that it's a problem with Verizon dsl or a router issue.  Verizon has checked my line, has sent me a new gateway router (I've tried both the Westell and Actiontec) and nothing works.  But it worked fine two months ago!!!  Anyone have similar issues -- or solutions???

0 Likes
Re: Roku and Vizio TV won't stream netflix or other video
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Makes sure the modem's Firewall isn't turned on for any reason. They can cause issues with streaming platforms like Roku or Netflix.

0 Likes
hudsongirl

Thanks, but I think the firewall is off.  When I look at the router settings it says, "The default firewall security level is set to "Off". Activating the firewall is optional. When the firewall is activated, security is enhanced, but some network functionality will be lost."  FYI, this is what it says for the Firewall Status:

Firewall Status

The list below displays all modified firewall settings from the factory default state.

Firewall Feature LAN IP Applied Rule
 ApplicationsN/ADefault Feature Setting
 Port ForwardingN/ADefault Feature Setting
 DMZ HostingN/ADefault Feature Setting
 Firewall SettingsN/ADefault Feature Setting
 NATN/ANAT Enabled
 UPnP192.168.1.2UPnP Forwarded Inbound UDP Port 6274
 UPnP192.168.1.2UPnP Forwarded Inbound TCP Port 6274

Is there something else that I should change in the router?  This is driving me crazy!  I just don't understand why it stopped working all of a sudden.

0 Likes
cindy1212
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have  the  same issues. and V'zon  tells  me   that   I  need the faster   version  of DSL  to  use netflix,  This  is something  I  had for two  years  then  V.  took  it away because " I  live too far  from  the substation"   now  I get another notice  that  I am being offered the  higher speed  DSL.  I am so  confused and frustrated

0 Likes
hudsongirl

I don't think speed is the issue.  I took my Roku box, which stopped working at my house with very fast dsl (15 Mbps), and tried it in my apartment which has very slow Verizon dsl (1 Mbps).  The same Roku box worked fine in my apartment?!?

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
Moved for greater exposure
0 Likes