Router Help - Mesh system?
Rangersmjs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi folks!

So I have the Fios triple play with gigabit connection (though I do not use the home phone). I am sing a Quantum Gateway from November 2017 when I moved in.

I switched my boxes to Fios One recently and have been experiencing some buffering on the one box that is running over Wifi, and overall slower internet speeds (laptop getting 65 download / 64 upload speeds when next to router). I do have about 22 devices hooked up to the same router between streaming devices, Alexas, video games, cell phones, laptops and smart TVs. I called VZ for support and they basically said my system is older and cannot manage that many devices, and to buy their newer router to help. 

So, am looking at what my options are. My router is on my main floor, and I have issues upstairs and in basement (about 3000 sqft home).  I know I could get my own router, but feel like setting that up with having TV could be a hassle. Does anyone know if doing a mesh network would be good for this case? Would something like an eero system as a bridge work where I put one on each floor to help recast the signal or is there something else you recommend? Just trying to get better coverage and stronger wifi throughout the home where I cannot hardwire in.

THANKS! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Help - Mesh system?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon routers creates a separate, hidden WiFI network for FiOS ONE boxes.  They only work on this network.  I don't think any non-Verizon mesh system will extend this network.  Certainly a non-Verizon router won't even create it.

Verizon does sell a network extender.  This may extend the hidden network as well, but I have no direct knowledge if it does or not.  Hopefully someone else who has the extender and FiOS ONE boxes can comment.  Here's the device:
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/ 

Know that using a non-Verizon router with FiOS TV can be complicated.  The FiOS ONE boxes are even more dependent on a FiOS router then the older boxes.  There are reports of people getting it working, but they have to put a Verizon router back in the network for activation and software upgrades.  Unless you like periodically troubleshooting and tweaking your network, I suggest you stay with a Verizon router.

The other option is to use a wired connection.  The FiOS ONE boxes can work with coax or Ethernet.  If you have either of those available, I suggest you use it.  Wire connections are always going to be more reliable then WiFi.

The G1100 should be able to handle the load you have.  It's WiFi range isn't the best, though.  The G3100 is reported to have better WiFI (it certainly has the latest, fastest WiFi specs), but I doubt upgrading to one is the only way to solve your issue.  I have not personally tested a G3100, though.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon routers creates a separate, hidden WiFI network for FiOS ONE boxes.  They only work on this network.  I don't think any non-Verizon mesh system will extend this network.  Certainly a non-Verizon router won't even create it.

Verizon does sell a network extender.  This may extend the hidden network as well, but I have no direct knowledge if it does or not.  Hopefully someone else who has the extender and FiOS ONE boxes can comment.  Here's the device:
https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/ 

Know that using a non-Verizon router with FiOS TV can be complicated.  The FiOS ONE boxes are even more dependent on a FiOS router then the older boxes.  There are reports of people getting it working, but they have to put a Verizon router back in the network for activation and software upgrades.  Unless you like periodically troubleshooting and tweaking your network, I suggest you stay with a Verizon router.

The other option is to use a wired connection.  The FiOS ONE boxes can work with coax or Ethernet.  If you have either of those available, I suggest you use it.  Wire connections are always going to be more reliable then WiFi.

The G1100 should be able to handle the load you have.  It's WiFi range isn't the best, though.  The G3100 is reported to have better WiFI (it certainly has the latest, fastest WiFi specs), but I doubt upgrading to one is the only way to solve your issue.  I have not personally tested a G3100, though.

Rangersmjs
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is definitely helpful - thanks!

I just looked and the network extended seems to need a coax cable to plug in to. The reason I went Fios One is because I didn’t have a cable line in the bedroom I wanted to put the box in. I only have one cable line in the master bedroom upstairs. I could put it in there, and then run that cable box using an Ethernet cable from the extended rather than via a coax cable i

think. But not sure it will push enough WiFi to the other bedroom. 

Is there another extender I could use that doesn’t need a coax cable line or Ethernet line that would work well? 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Inexpensive devices that "extend" WiFi without any connection are actually repeaters even though they are sold as extenders (often with miraculous claims).  They cut the bandwidth in half for all devices on the same WiFi channel, as they do exactly what the name implies, repeat.

The more expensive mesh networks use a 3rd wireless signal to connect the remote access points.  The main point must have an Ethernet connection to the router. Mesh systems don't cut the bandwidth in half.  Verizon's G3100 router and it's extender use this approach.  What I don't know if the non-Verizon mesh network devices will share the hidden TV WiFi network.  If they do, they should work for you.

The Verizon network extender I pointed you to works with the G1100 router.  It does require a coax connection to the router, this is how it gets access to your LAN.  If your master bedroom is on the same floor as the bedroom without any connections, placing the extender in the master bedroom should work well.

Note that if you live in an older home with plaster lath walls you may still have problems.  That type of construction eats up WiFi.  You pretty much need a wired access point in every room if you have plaster lath walls.

Rangersmjs
Enthusiast - Level 1

All really helpful! Thanks! 

0 Likes
Rangersmjs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey - one more question. Would I be able to use a google WiFi mesh system (one main router and two additional access points), by following this setup for Fios tv and internet?

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

THANKS! 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That FAQ pre-dates the FiOS ONE boxes.  As I mentioned, they are even more reliant on a Verizon router then the old boxes.  They need a Verizon router for activation, software upgrades and for the hidden WiFi network they use.

There have been reports of people getting FiOS ONE boxes activated with a Verizon router then switching to a non-Verizon router.  They still have to tweak network settings to get all TV services working.  They still keep a Verizon router around to plug in if issues occur for server reasons: it often fixes problems;  Verizon doesn't provide any support if you don't have their router; software updates only work with Verizon router.

If you don't want to deal with occasional network tweaking and troubleshooting, stay with a Verizon router.  If you do switch routers, start spending time on dslreports where there are lots of discussions of non-Verizon routers.  For example, you'll find this recent discussion topical:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32489288-FiOS-TV-One-Hidden-SSID

Good Luck

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes