Router/Network Extender Issue
njcameraman

I just purchased a FIOS Gateway Router and a FIOS Network Extender and am having a problem with Wi-Fi signal strength. Currently my router is located in a bedroom at one end of the house because that's where the ethernet cable comes in to the house. (I have a single level ranch home...approx 2000 square feet.) I'm trying to set up a home office at the other end of the house where the network extender is located but the Wi-Fi signal in the office is very weak or non existent on both my phone and my computer.

Currently I use my laptop at a table in the middle of the house and the Wi-Fi signal strength is fine. There are currently 4 coax outlets in the house: #1 is the in the same bedroom as the router. #2 is in another bedroom on the other side of the wall from the router location. #3 is in the living room in the center of the house. #4 is in the home office at the other end of the house where the network extender is located.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions to increase the Wi-Fi signal strength in the home office? I can't move the router to the middle of the house because the ethernet cable isn't long enough. I could move the network extender to the middle of the house and connect it in the living room using a coax splitter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router/Network Extender Issue
gman01904
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know your post was from 2017 and you probably have solved your issues already but today’s date is 4/5/2018. Once you plug your office #4 coax in the Wall then plug the other end into your extender then plug in your power cord.... you should then see( after a minute or 2) your extender name (home- blah blah blah) on your phones or computers setting a list of networks around you. One of them should be Home- blah blah blah...click on it then put in your password( on the back of yyour extender). Now on its own your extender will sync up with your router automatically. That’s it...your signal should be good.  Btw when it does sync you will no longer see your (Home) network listed. It will now be your routers name. I hope you are all set.

Garry

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Your suggestion of moving it to the middle of the house would be reasonable to try and see if that fixes the problem.

you could also leave the extender where it is now and just buy a second one and hook it in the middle of the house and again it may fix the problem.

i use my own Nighthawk router and my wifi on it is far superior to the Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the network extender is in your home office, you are saying you don't get good wifi there?

Are you sure  it is working properly?

Have you done a wifi scan? I have read some people say that network extender can have a different SSID than their main one.

If you have an android device, download an app called wifi analyzer.

It can help you determine what is going on from a wifi level.

0 Likes
njcameraman

Thanks John. I'm going to try moving the extender and see if that solves the problem.

0 Likes
gman01904
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know your post was from 2017 and you probably have solved your issues already but today’s date is 4/5/2018. Once you plug your office #4 coax in the Wall then plug the other end into your extender then plug in your power cord.... you should then see( after a minute or 2) your extender name (home- blah blah blah) on your phones or computers setting a list of networks around you. One of them should be Home- blah blah blah...click on it then put in your password( on the back of yyour extender). Now on its own your extender will sync up with your router automatically. That’s it...your signal should be good.  Btw when it does sync you will no longer see your (Home) network listed. It will now be your routers name. I hope you are all set.

Garry

jonjones1
Legend

It is evident the poster was all set. Normally it is moot after a year. 😀

0 Likes