Router reboots by itself
GaryPSU
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Gateway G1100 reboots by itself for no known reason. I purchased the router from Verizon about two years ago.  This has started recently.  Oddly, usually the wireless devices reconnect on their own, but the wired ones do not.  I have 100/100 service via COAX plus TV and landline. I have 34 devices connected, but not all at once.  I also have the FIOS network extender (WCB6200).  I have had to reboot the ONT at times to get devices to reconnect.  I have had to disconnect and reconnect the wired devices.  The router has the latest firmware 02.02.00.16.  Any ideas/help would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
Re: Router reboots by itself
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like the router might be starting to go bad. It could also possibly be related to a firmware update. Another thing I would check is device that are hardwired. Unplug your devices to see if one of them are causing it. As a last resort I would give it a hard reset for 15 seconds to see if that helps. 

GaryPSU
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could my inexpensive UPS that the Gateway connects to be causing a problem?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

That is doubtful that an APC causes the burps.

if you search this forum and others via google it is the Quantum Gateway Router G1100 that is at fault. Some of the postings have stated verizon pushed out firmware updates that messed up the router. Then the new firmware was pushed out to fix the screwups from the last firmware update.

personally i would get rid of it and look into buying a Netgear or asus etc. for your internet. http://www.dslreports.com has a fios forum that can give you better information.

0 Likes
GaryPSU
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand that I need to keep the gateway for the TV, and that I can use a different router for my wired and WiFi connections.  However, I have an extender upstairs (WCB6200q) with coax in and Ethernet and WiFi out.  Can I still have that extending my Internet with a non-Verizon router for my DHCP connections?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@GaryPSU wrote:

I understand that I need to keep the gateway for the TV, and that I can use a different router for my wired and WiFi connections.  However, I have an extender upstairs (WCB6200q) with coax in and Ethernet and WiFi out.  Can I still have that extending my Internet with a non-Verizon router for my DHCP connections?

You can use a better router with a MOCA adapter to get your tv. The only exception is the new fios one boxes that only work with verizons routers. But the website i gave you is the best place for instructions on how to set up a better network.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber