Router recommendations to "replace" FiOS router
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

I've been looking at some posts on this thread and I've decided to get a router and do the traditional modem and router path rather than having the ActionTec FiOS do them both. Do you guys have any recommendations on what router I should get? Also, how would you set it up to where you can disable the router functions on the FiOS router/modem?

0 Likes
Re: Router recommendations to "replace" FiOS router
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Vigz wrote:

Hello,

... I've decided to get a router and do the traditional modem and router path rather than having the ActionTec FiOS do them both ... how would you set it up to where you can disable the router functions on the FiOS router/modem?

FiOS doesn't use a modem.  Functions that would normally be handled by a modem are handled by the ONT.  The Actiontec router supplied by VZ uses MoCA (Multimedia Over Coax Alliance) rather than Ethernet.  Unless things have changed recently, there are no consumer routers available that use MoCA.

Having said that, there are methods that will allow you to add another router and rearrange your network devices as you prefer.  Search this forum and DSLReports for an abundance of details.