Router replacement (Actiontec MI 424WR for Westell 9100VM)
Gatrheel

We currently have a Westell 9100VM, but our computers/phones lose the network intermittently (usually between 20 minutes and 2 hours).  The internet light stays solid green, but we just can't find the network on anything.

I called tech support and they believe the issue is with the router.  So they send a new one.

The replacement router is an Actiontec MI 424WR.  Unfortunately, our Westell was connected through the coax and our telephone line (plugged into the VDSL2 port).  I hooked the Actiontec up last night, but the WAN light never came on -- probably because the router is just hooked up by coax.  So we still can't access the internet.

So I call tech support again and they say that we need a tech to come out to our house.  I say fine, and an appointment is scheduled.

Thinking about it though -- couldn't the problem be solved by just sending us another Westell?  Instead of having a tech come out?

Is the Actiontec any better or worse than the Westell?  For what it's worth, we never had any complaints about our internet speed, on demand, etc. with the Westell.

0 Likes
Re: Router replacement (Actiontec MI 424WR for Westell 9100VM)
tns
Master - Level 2

They may have no more Westells.  Westell sold this part of their business and no longer makes them.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the WAN light won't come on, are you talking about the light indicating "WAN Coax" or the Internet/Globe light? If it's the globe light, you need to leave the Westell disconnected for two hours to allow the DHCP lease on Verizon's end to break. If it's thelatter, it's something that should be adjutable in the router's settings. My Network > Network Connections should be where those settings are, and you want to be sure coax WAN is active. You may want to have Verizon try releasin your DHCP lease as well if they didn't try that when you swapped your router.

The ActionTec may or may not work better than your Westell. Only way to tell for sure is to turn it on, get it working and see how it works out.

Per any chance are you seeing disconnections only on Wireless or is this also on the Wired network?

0 Likes
Gatrheel

Thanks for responding.  Both lights are out.  When I plugged in the coax, only the power, LAN Coax, and Wireless lights came on.

The tech I worked with over the phone indicated that either the WAN Ethernet or WAN Coax light need to be on in order for the router to work.  Nothing we tried got either one of those to come on.

We can see the new router (it's an available wireless connection), but we can't connect to it.  Again, the tech indicated that this was because neither of the WAN lights were on.

We only use wireless, so I'm not sure if the connection would have been similarly intermittent with the Westell had we used a wired connection.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You should be able to connect to it even if you can not get internet access.  Try a wired connection and logon to the router to see if you can check out the status.

0 Likes
Gatrheel

Thank you as well.  Since I was following the standard instructions Verizon sends with their routers, I tried the wired connection with the new router.  I was able to log into the router (using the admin logon and password that's on the back of the router).

I'm not currently at home, but, if I recall correctly, there was an issue with the Broadband connection once I logged into the router.  I didn't want to mess anything up, so I tried the In Home Agent (? -- the CD that was with the router) and it said there was a problem accessing the internet.  The In Home Agenct prompted me to call tech support.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the westell 9100vm has a built in vdsl 2 modem inside it, the actiontec does not.   so they either need to send you a new one, or send a tech who has one on their truck.  you can try calling the local verizon stores they may have one, but they sent you the wrong router/modem.