SIP ALG: Failed parsing. Error code: -1020 -- Errors happen over time
TX_edgeman

Hi,

I have a Westell A90-9100EM15-10 FIOS router running 1.03.00.08 firmware.  SIP ALG is enabled in the Westell.  I have a couple of SIP trunk devices sitting LAN side of the Westell with static IP addresses.  SIP trunks work fine for several weeks and no issues and then my SIP end points will fail to register.

I see these errors start appearing in the logs after several weeks and my SIP trunks fail to register:

--SIP ALG: Failed parsing. Error code: -1020 [repeated 90 times, last time on May 3 07:54:45 2012]

Rebooting my Westell router will clear the problem until another several weeks pass.  Rebooting my SIP endpoints doesn't fixe the issue.  Wireshark shows the SIP REGISTER messages making it to the Westell router, but no response makes it back.

Anything I can do other than have to reboot the FIOS router weekly?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
Re: SIP ALG: Failed parsing. Error code: -1020 -- Errors happen over time
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is SIP ALG required in your particular case? In my own experience running large networks, ALG tends to break more than it fixes often times. If ALG (passthrough via router) can be disabled while the SIP trunks remain functional, that would be nice to try.

0 Likes
TX_edgeman

Yes, I need the SIP ALG enabled.   My provider doesn't use a Session Border Controller (SBC).  If I disable it, I get one way audio.

Chris

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, ok. Does DMZ or Port Forwarding assist with the Transversal if the SIP device is on a Static IP or Static DHCP reservation?

0 Likes