Second Router In Home
True123

Hey everyone.

I'm currently trying to have a second router be set up in my home. However, Verizon's box only has one port that connects to the CAT5 cables in my house. All solutions that I've found don't seem to be giving me answers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Second Router In Home
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. Let me analyze something first. You have G3100, it has 4 built-in LAN ports. Since you want more LAN ports, I am assuming all of the LAN ports are occupied. Second, you want to extend wireless signal also, so you want to place an access point (or a combination thereof) at a location distant from G3100.

But, I still have the same question. Do you have ethernet, coax, or both, running through the house? Or let me rephrase the question: I am asking whether each of your rooms has an ethernet or coax wall plate.

Given you have a big house, I suggest you to buy some access points that can create a mess WLAN and disable the wireless function on G3100 completely for less interference. The wireless speed drops when you are using the extender may due to devices cannot select the optimal access point between G3100 and the extender.

This recommendation is contingent upon whether you have ethernet, coax, or both, cables running throughout the house. If you only have coax wall plates, then you need to buy MoCA adapters that costs another $100+ if you plan to install at least two access points.

If you want more LAN ports at the same location where you place your access points, you just need to buy some gigabit switches.

If you have more questions, please ask.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am trying to understand your question. You want another router so you can have two IP addresses? Or you want more LAN ports? Home connection only allows 1 IP address, I think? You might need to request to replace the current ONT into a two or four WAN ports model. Please reference them here https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16637

True123

Definitley don't want another IP address. Just more LAN ports so I can use the same IP address on two routers. My home is big to the point that Extenders aren't really optimal.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@True123 wrote:

Just more LAN ports so I can use the same IP address on two routers.

I just want to clarify that you want only LAN ethernet ports? You don't need wireless connection to be extended?

What equipment do you have on hand? Quantum Gateway G1100? Home Router G3100? Do you have coaxial cables running through your house? Do you have ethernet cables running through the house?

Please reply to these questions so I can better help you.

True123

I have the  Home Router G3100. It's connected through the ethernet cable that run through the wall to the box in the basement.

I'd like it to be extended but the wireless extenders I've bought in the past haven't transmitted the speed effectivley. It drops from 200mbps to about 20mbps when I use one. If there's an easier way to get an access point in another part of my house with the equipment I have, I'd love to know!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. Let me analyze something first. You have G3100, it has 4 built-in LAN ports. Since you want more LAN ports, I am assuming all of the LAN ports are occupied. Second, you want to extend wireless signal also, so you want to place an access point (or a combination thereof) at a location distant from G3100.

But, I still have the same question. Do you have ethernet, coax, or both, running through the house? Or let me rephrase the question: I am asking whether each of your rooms has an ethernet or coax wall plate.

Given you have a big house, I suggest you to buy some access points that can create a mess WLAN and disable the wireless function on G3100 completely for less interference. The wireless speed drops when you are using the extender may due to devices cannot select the optimal access point between G3100 and the extender.

This recommendation is contingent upon whether you have ethernet, coax, or both, cables running throughout the house. If you only have coax wall plates, then you need to buy MoCA adapters that costs another $100+ if you plan to install at least two access points.

If you want more LAN ports at the same location where you place your access points, you just need to buy some gigabit switches.

If you have more questions, please ask.

christosP
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have two G3100 routers I would like to install in my home.  I found these instructions on the web below.  It just does not explain how to connect the routers when you reboot. I assume that the LAN port of the primary router should be plugged into the WAN port of the secondary router.  

Initial Verizon Wireless Router Setup

Start by setting up your first router. Plug the yellow Ethernet cord into the color-coded port on the router and plug the free end into your wall Ethernet outlet. Plug the router into power to activate the wireless signal.

Open a computer and access your wi-fi settings to locate the available networks. The wireless settings are written on the back of your router. The network should show up as ESSID and you can use the password WPA2. This launches you on the temporary network.

Open a web browser, and visit activatemyfios.verizon.net to enter the setup process. This is where you will set up your network name, password and any custom settings.

Secondary Router Setup

The secondary router extends your wireless capabilities. It is especially useful on a busy network where multiple users are active at the same time. You can connect Netgear routers to Verizon FiOS or use another brand, if desired. Using a second FiOS router is the easiest approach, but other brands are compatible with a workaround.

If you have a different brand, you must set up the IP to match the Verizon network. Connect an Ethernet cord between your computer and the primary FiOS router. Choose Run from the Startup menu and type CMD. Hit Enter to trigger the command prompt window. Type ipconfig, and then press enter again.

Write down or screen-shot the Gateway and Subnet Mask. Remove the Ethernet end from the primary router, and plug it into the second router. Note the IP Address written on the back of your FiOS Router. Enter this into a web browser.

Enter your username and password to open the settings. Choose to set a static IP Address. This means it will not interfere with the primary IP on the FiOS router. Write in your recorded Gateway and Subnet Mask info. For the IP Address, use 192.168.1.1 to match the FiOS Verizon router IP. Apply the settings.

Reboot the New System

Shut down your computer and both routers. Make sure everything is connected properly, and reboot everything. The changes should take effect and the second router will act as an extension of the network. It increases the number of users allowed on the network and increases your overall range if when placed in a different location in the home or building.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can only have one primary router in a home connected to the ONT.  If you want to expand networking coverage through WiFi, Ethernet, or coax, you'll need to install equipment behind the primary router.  These can be access points, switches, or MoCA bridges.  The choice depends on what you're trying to accomplish and the available networking connections, as @dexman has asked.

You can install a secondary router behind a primary router.  If you do this, you've two options.  The easiest option is running it in router mode without any configuration changes.  In this use case, the secondary router creates a separate network behind the primary router.  Devices on the different networks will not be able to talk to each other without complex configuration, but devices on the secondary network will be able to reach the internet.  To do this, plug an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the primary router to the WAN port on the secondary router.  This is called "double NAT" in the IPv4 space, and is only good for simply networking needs.

The better approach is to configure the router in access point mode.  This will extend the current network and allow all devices to communicate with each other.  This avoids the double NAT issue.  You need to check the documentation for the router to learn how to put in access point mode.  Connections are likely primary router LAN port to secondary router WAN port in this mode; but check the documentation.

An even better approach is to do as @dexman suggested and deploy devices designed for network extension.  Note that most consumer mesh network gear can be configured as a router or access point, but  you'll want access point mode.  The connection between access points and your router should be wired for best performance, either Ethernet or coax depending on what is in your walls.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure I posted that excellent suggestion. I just can't find a reply with my name on it in this topic's chain. šŸ¤”

Could it have been the reply left by Cang_Household? šŸ¤”

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Woops!  Brain freeze!  Indeed, it's was @Cang_Household  who posted on this thread.