Setting up VPN Firewall at edge with Fios
Pokeynut

I want to put a Cisco RV340 at the edge and use the Fios provided router behind it. I want to do this so I can use my iPad and MacBook remotely to tunnel in and grab files off my machine at home and also be able to watch Fios when I travel (mainly live TV since that requires you to have a local ip when viewing say ABC of NBC). 

I know the VPN portion will work if I use a service like DynDNS, but will Verizon “throttle”my IPSec or ssl traffic?  

Has anyone done this set up?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Setting up VPN Firewall at edge with Fios
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure why you would think that Verizon would throttle your traffic, other than yesterday's changes to net neutrality.
I thought the main point of the rv340 was to provide load balancing via the dual wan ports.  Unless you intend to have a second provider it would seem that the Cisco device is overkill.
If all you are trying to do is get remote access to the TV service you can accomplish the same thing by using a Raspberry PI using OpenVPN

0 Likes
Re: Setting up VPN Firewall at edge with Fios
Pokeynut

Thanks for the reply. The Cisco, i can get pretty much free so i was considering that device plus the performance seems pretty decent. 

Ao the setup should work with no problems I’m guessing. 

0 Likes