Setting up a network
Synkronicity

Hey, I have a crappy network set up in my house, I'm a total beginner when it comes to networking but I have some of the basics down. The network is currenty: Verizon Box outside, Coax into another split thing, which has coax cables running all over my house from the outside. I have one coax cable in my room which used to be connected to a set top box, we removed that set top box but the coax cable is still there. One cable runs from the outside into the basement and into my Actiontec MI424WR. Here's the question now: Is it possible for me to get another router and connect it to the set top box coax in my room and use that router as an access point? How can I go about with this and what are some more options? 

If everything was confusing, here's a summary: I have my router in the basement, my room is upstairs. I like to game and stream and surf the net while in my own room. There are family members constantly streaming on iPads and iPhones so the wireless is pretty awful. What are some options that I can go with?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up a network - Easy Fix Available
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Synkronicity wrote:

... The network is currenty: Verizon Box outside, Coax into another split thing  ... one coax cable in my room ... One cable runs from the outside into the basement and into my Actiontec MI424WR ... Is it possible for me to get another router and connect it to the set top box coax in my room and use that router as an access point? ... What are some options that I can go with?

You can make changes easily.  Just unplug and disconnect the router in the basement, then reconnect it to the coax output in your room.  Plug it in, turn it on, and you are good to go.  At that point you can choose to connect in your room either wired or wireless.

Considering that other users may want wireless access, there may be a better or more central location for the router elsewhere in the home.  Either way, use the same method described above and you will be fine.

Try the above and report back with further questions if required. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Synkronicity wrote:

... The network is currenty: Verizon Box outside, Coax into another split thing  ... one coax cable in my room ... One cable runs from the outside into the basement and into my Actiontec MI424WR ... Is it possible for me to get another router and connect it to the set top box coax in my room and use that router as an access point? ... What are some options that I can go with?

You can make changes easily.  Just unplug and disconnect the router in the basement, then reconnect it to the coax output in your room.  Plug it in, turn it on, and you are good to go.  At that point you can choose to connect in your room either wired or wireless.

Considering that other users may want wireless access, there may be a better or more central location for the router elsewhere in the home.  Either way, use the same method described above and you will be fine.

Try the above and report back with further questions if required. 

0 Likes
Synkronicity

I was thinking about that, but my brother watches netflix on his wii all the way down there and there is an xbox and ps3 down there, so I don't know if that is really an optimal approach with my given circumstances. I would consider the MoCA approach but that's a bit costly, and I think having a second router would be more versitile. Considering everyone in my household, if I am the only one gaming and the router is in my room and I'm connected wired, would they have distance problems streaming? 

Edit: Testing armond_in_nj's solution for a week, seeing if everyone is still a-ok. The router works great up here though heh

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Synkronicity wrote:

... I would consider the MoCA approach but that's a bit costly ...

A bit pricey, but solid if you only want a wired connection.

@Synkronicity wrote:

... a second router would be more versitile ...

For sure, and you can pick up a used Actiontec for less than a new MoCA adapter on eBay (you will need an Actiontec to provide MoCA-based Internet, wireless or otherwise).  However a little more complicated to set up, but if you can read directions, no problem.

@Synkronicity wrote:

...  would they have distance problems streaming? ...

Good practice usually recommends against putting the wireless radio above connected devices, but it's worth trying.  Only you can say if it's satisfactory.

@Synkronicity wrote:

Edit: Testing @armond_in_nj's solution for a week, seeing if everyone is still a-ok. The router works great up here though heh

Let us know.  Glad it works well (although not surprised).

0 Likes
Synkronicity

armond_in_nj wrote:

For sure, and you can pick up a used Actiontec for less than a new MoCA adapter on eBay (you will need an Actiontec to provide MoCA-based Internet, wireless or otherwise).  However a little more complicated to set up, but if you can read directions, no problem.

Where would I find these directions?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Synkronicity wrote:

@armond_in_nj wrote:

...  you can pick up a used Actiontec for less than a new MoCA adapter on eBay ... a little more complicated to set up, but if you can read directions, no problem.

Where would I find these directions?

Look at the articles in Section 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 on this page:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?r=0.103754291168542

0 Likes
Synkronicity

Ah thank you very very much, you are a great help sir.

0 Likes