Should I get VZ to come out and put in a supported ONT before I install a mesh router?
Dave270
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a 1-211M-K ONT connected via Coax to the Actiontec MI424WR Rev 1 router.  I dropped the TV and now only have FIOS internet.  I want to install a Google Nest mesh router to the ONT's ethernet port.  Question is about the ONT. I see the 1-211M-K is no longer supported.  Should I get VZ to come out and put i a supported ONT before I instell the mesh router?  I"m not adverse to paying for a tech support visit to get this done and ensure a smooth install of the router.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should I get VZ to come out and put in a supported ONT before I install a mesh router?
BobbyZee
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also had a VZ tech come to the house to switch me over to Ethernet, mostly at the request of VZ, who said I had an ancient ONT. He replaced the ONT with a new one.

However, I did not switch over to Ethernet until a few months later, after I took time to evolve my home network from a mix of wired/wireless to fully wireless using a Google Nest router with three stations to cover the house (with the Nest router (dual NAT) into a cable-based router). Then, I switched over to Ethernet (you need to call VZ to do this) and went live - streaming TVs, desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, Google Home, etc.

So long story short - yes, having them come out might be a good idea, especially with old equipment in the mix, as that is probably your weakest link.

View solution in original post

Re: Should I get VZ to come out and put in a supported ONT before I install a mesh router?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon supports the ONT. The Actiontec router is out of support.

BobbyZee
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also had a VZ tech come to the house to switch me over to Ethernet, mostly at the request of VZ, who said I had an ancient ONT. He replaced the ONT with a new one.

However, I did not switch over to Ethernet until a few months later, after I took time to evolve my home network from a mix of wired/wireless to fully wireless using a Google Nest router with three stations to cover the house (with the Nest router (dual NAT) into a cable-based router). Then, I switched over to Ethernet (you need to call VZ to do this) and went live - streaming TVs, desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, Google Home, etc.

So long story short - yes, having them come out might be a good idea, especially with old equipment in the mix, as that is probably your weakest link.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some of the information in this thread is confused or incorrect.  Let's clear it up.

• The 1-211M-K ONT is a current model.  You can continue using it.  Verizon will not replace it.
  • All ONTs support Ethernet or coax WAN connections to the router.
  • A Verizon tech does not need to visit your premises to switch an ONT's WAN connection
  • The ONT's WAN connection has no impact on the LAN connection.  LANs can be on coax, Ethernet and WiFi independent of the WAN connection.
  • The Actiontec router was end-of-lifed years ago, is out-of-support and does not receive any updates including security updates.  It should be removed from service as soon as possible.
  • A Verizon router is needed when using Verizon set-top-boxes.
  • If you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes and TV service, you can use any router you like.  Note that Verizon support ends at the ONT in this configuration.

What this means for you is your path to your mesh router could be very simple.  Here's the process:

• Install an Ethernet cable between the ONT and the current Actiontec router's WAN port.
  • Contact Verizon support (preferably by chat) and ask them them to switch your ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN.  This takes just a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.
  • Make sure everything is working.  You may have to reset the router.
  • Unplug the Actiontec from everything.
  • Plug in the mesh router to the Ethernet WAN cable from the ONT, turn it on, and enjoy your new setup!

Note you do NOT need to do any IP WAN release/renew steps.  You may find old instructions on this site or the internet that say to do this.  This step hasn't been needed in a several years as Verizon updated their systems to remove this requirement.  Just unplug the old router, plug in the new one and enjoy.

If you can't run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router, then you'll need to find someone who can.  A Verizon tech can do this work, but know they don't run wires inside walls.  Depending on where the cable needs to go, you may have exposed cable stapled to baseboards or near the ceiling.  If you need it installed inside walls, hire a handyman or home-theater installer to do it.  You can also learn to DIY, as it's a easy-to-moderate difficulty job.  There are lots of good tutorials on the web if you search for them.

Dave270
Enthusiast - Level 1

When the Ethernet WAN is turned on, will the Coax WAN be turned off or will both be active at the same time?  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The current account system only allows one WAN connection at a time. Once the Ethernet WAN is activated, MoCA WAN is deactivated automatically.