Should I upgrade my FIOS router for a new 4k UHD tv?
paul17011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Consdering  purchase of a new 4K UHD TV.  Other than dual band support, is there need or advantage to upgrade from Actiontec to Gateway G1100?  Anything gained from G1100 which runs  Moca 2.0 vs Actiontec which runs Moca 1.1 ?

Mostly satisfied with  current  internet and tv configuration. 

I have FIOS 50/50 internet, tv and phone for many years.  Only coax runs to my attic and basement from ONT. Have Actiontec router and dual band wifi extender, 3 HD stb's and  multiroom DVR.  Extender is split configured at 5.0 communicating to devices and at 2.4 communicating with Actiontec

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should I upgrade my FIOS router for a new 4k UHD tv?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don’t think so. No real need to upgrade router. Netflix only requires 25mpbs for 4k. Being you have 50/50 you should be fine. If your router is close to your new tv connect it with ethernet. 

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model STB do you have?

Router in and of itself has no impact on TV quality.

If you are upgrading to VMS hardware, you need Rev I Actiontec or G1100 router to support MOCA 2.0.

paul17011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

STBs are Motorola QIP7100 2 and multi room DVR is Motorola QIP7232 2.  Abilbity to record at most 2 concurrent shows is adequate for my needs   Don't think I need more capacity.

The STBs are  a mystery to me. Do I need newer STBs for  TVs with higher [120 and 240] refresh rates and more pixels?   Today I  occasionaly stream Netflix  using Amazon fire stick or Roku

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don’t think so. No real need to upgrade router. Netflix only requires 25mpbs for 4k. Being you have 50/50 you should be fine. If your router is close to your new tv connect it with ethernet.