Signal Interruption to Router HELP
FIOSinMD

New(ish) customer here.  Fairly happy except that the signal to the router is frequesntly interrupted, requiring me to close and open my browser several times.  Obviously something up here.  Have shut router off overnight, etc. still happens at the beginning and during each session.  Do I need a service call? FIOS is new to this neighborhood.

0 Likes
Re: Signal Interruption to Router HELP
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@FIOSinMD wrote:

the signal to the router is frequesntly interrupted,

What do you mean by "signal interrupted"?  The wireless signal?  The MOCA signal from the ONT to to the router?  The fiber signal from the CO to your ONT?  Can you be more specific?

When this happens, what are the lights on the router doing?

Does the internet LED stay green? Or does it turn orage.

How are you connected to the router?  Wireless or cat5?

How is the router connected to the ONT?  coax or cat5?

When this happens, what are the lights on the ONT doing?

Does the Network (fiber)  LED stay green, or does it turn red?

Likewise, what is the MOCA light doing (if you have a coax connection to the ONT).?

0 Likes
FIOSinMD

Wow that's a bit overwhelming.  her ya go:

What do you mean by "signal interrupted"?  The wireless signal? 

No, although I assume it is out if the hard wired desk top isn't revceiving a signal.

The MOCA signal from the ONT to to the router?  The fiber signal from the CO to your ONT?  Can you be more specific?

I am asuming the MOCA signal is out because the COto ONT signal is out.  Although I have never gone to the garage to look at the box. my guess was the fiber signal to the house was being interrupted.

Sometimes all are out, sometimes one greenlight is on, not blinking. Sometimes a few are on, not blinking. Often re-opening a browser (where i have always received a message the internet connection is lost) will begin the happy little green light dance on the router and reconnect to the Internet. Sometimes only a router reset does the trick.

Does the internet LED stay green? Or does it turn orage.  Never have seen an orange light on the front of the router.  See above.

How are you connected to the router?  Wireless or cat5? Do you think we unenlightened users are supposed to know what a cat5 connection is? I am connected to the router via an ethernet cable less than six feet in length.

How is the router connected to the ONT?  coax or cat5?

Again, what's with this cat5 business?  There is a coaxial cable to my router from the (ONT?) box in the garage, about 20 feet away, same floor.

When this happens, what are the lights on the ONT doing?  Haven't checked yet, but next time it freezes i will.

Does the Network (fiber)  LED stay green, or does it turn red? YOu're talking about the ONT aren't you? See how I've learned? Again I don't know.

Likewise, what is the MOCA light doing (if you have a coax connection to the ONT).? It seems, oh sensei, that I will have to check the ONT to get a before and after idea of what is going on.

Granted all this is an irritant only, but DSL was steady, and I was told the FIOS signal was constant unless there are bigger neighborhood or system problems.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Wow that's a bit overwhelming.  her ya go:

Sorry if that was a bit overwhelming, but you didn't give much information in your OP.

The MOCA signal from the ONT to to the router?  The fiber signal from the CO to your ONT?  Can you be more specific?

I am asuming the MOCA signal is out because the COto ONT signal is out. 

Losing the signal from the CO has not been confirmed at this point.  If that were the case this would be happening to your neighbors also.  Have you checked with them?

Sometimes all are out,

That would indicate the router is rebooting.

sometimes one greenlight is on,

Which one?

How are you connected to the router?  Wireless or cat5? Do you think we unenlightened users are supposed to know what a cat5 connection is?

cat5 refers to category 5 twisted pair.  What you refer to as an ethernet cable. MOCA, wireless, cat5 and even fiber are all types of ethernet connections, although each is a different physical media. By referring to cat5, I'm specifically referring to a wired connection.

When this happens, what are the lights on the ONT doing?  Haven't checked yet, but next time it freezes i will.

From what you've said so far, I doubt you're losing your connection to the CO.  It sound to me like you're losing your connection because the router is rebooting. 

What hardware revision of the Actiontec router do you have?  This should be on the first line of the service tag.

0 Likes
FIOSinMD

Thanks for the continuing assist on this.  Can't easily find the service tag, but will dig through things tomorrow.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FIOSinMD wrote:

Wow that's a bit overwhelming. 

Just to be clear, this is a peer-to-peer forum.  You're talking to other Verizon customers here, not Verizon tech support.  We're happy to help you figure out what is going on, but we only know what you tell us.  Thus, some of us ask lots of detailed questions.

If you want to talk to Verizon tech support, you'll need to contact them directly using the options provided in the "contact us" link at the bottom of these pages.

I agree with Anti-Phish that this issue appears to be caused by router reboots.  If you want to confirm the status of the FiOS signal from the CO, here are several ways:

• If you have other FiOS services, see if they are working when internet is not.  If they are, the link is working fine.
  • Check the status lights on the ONT.
  • As Anti-Phish suggests, check with your neighbors if they are having any problems with FiOS.

One last thought for now; make sure your router is plugged in securely.  A loose power cord could cause the problems you have.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@FIOSinMD wrote:

Can't easily find the service tag.

The service tag should be a label on the underside of the router.

0 Likes