Simple ? DSL question
lookitup1

I have DSL that's working fine. I want to move my computer/modem to another room.

I have cat5e cable coming from outside the house in to my wall phone socket, but it has a regular telephone size output socket, into which are plugged my modem and telephone.

The easiest way to move the computer would be to plug into that socket and extend to the new room. I would need to add a length of about 25-30' to get to the new location. Is it OK to do that using a phone cord, and would that degrade my DSL speed? Or is it necessary to extend the cat5e to the new location?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Simple ? DSL question
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

You can use the phone cord to extend it. The ethernet cord hooked to the back of the phone jack only uses 2 of the wires from the ethernet, so its not even using the full potential of that cord.

0 Likes
lookitup1

I did discover that by looking under the jack cover. Thanks for clarifying though!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Best practice when extending a cable is to not use the "flat" kind of cabling. You're looking for a twisted pair cabling, which is always best to use especially on data lines. The flat cabling works fine for telephone, but just doesn't play nice with DSL in some situations.

0 Likes
lookitup1

Thanks, I did have trouble from flat cable at one time.

0 Likes