Slow DSL in DC
Agon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

My DSL connection is very slow tonight. I have 3mb download, but according on this speed test, my actual speed is:

Download Speed: 620 kbps (77.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 724 kbps (90.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Are there any issues in the DC area?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow DSL in DC--follow up
Agon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon Tech Support this (2/10) afternoon after continuing to experience slow download speed. I have the 3mb(down)/.8mb(upload) plant. As someone above mentioned, the problem is with download speeds, not upload. 

I haven't a torrent download, but iTunes tried downloading a new iPhone update and indicated it would take 1 hour to download. I was also streaming some feeds and had problems having multiple feeds at once. Back to what the Tech said. He said that he found an error with my line because the connection kept breaking every few seconds. He said this continual connected/not connected issue might be the problem. (By the way, we tried a 50MB download and the download speed was around 70kbs.)  He elevated my issue to the central office and said someone will be calling me in 24-48 hours to update me.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Agon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon Tech Support this (2/10) afternoon after continuing to experience slow download speed. I have the 3mb(down)/.8mb(upload) plant. As someone above mentioned, the problem is with download speeds, not upload. 

I haven't a torrent download, but iTunes tried downloading a new iPhone update and indicated it would take 1 hour to download. I was also streaming some feeds and had problems having multiple feeds at once. Back to what the Tech said. He said that he found an error with my line because the connection kept breaking every few seconds. He said this continual connected/not connected issue might be the problem. (By the way, we tried a 50MB download and the download speed was around 70kbs.)  He elevated my issue to the central office and said someone will be calling me in 24-48 hours to update me.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL in DC
GasHed

I'm suffering with the slow speed as well.  3M plan, but I'm averaging about 500k down.  Thing is, I've noticed things getting slower over the last month... from 2.7M at all times when I first signed up in October last year, to 1.5M during the day and 750k in the evening about a month ago, to 500k at all times this last week.  I called tonight and got horrible support... I've been working on this problem for the last week and spent 5 yrs doing network support for a Fortune 100 company... but he insisted that it was my virus scanner or lack of memory.  Or... that I should get a different modem even though I just paid $30 for this one a few months ago.  Let me know what happens... but if I don't hear anything by Monday, I'm going with Comcast, as much as it pains me to say that, but that's really my only other option. 

BTW, in Logan Circle neighborhood if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
Agon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem (slow download speed) was solved the day after I called. However, I only got the promised call-back on 2/16 to ask me if the problem was solved. I haven't noticed a slow down since being fixed.

This is about the second or third time I've had to call about a slow internet connection. The first time, Verizon sent out a tech guy that told me the wiring inside the house wasn't set up properly in the phone jacks. He fixed the phone jack where I connect my dsl. At first, the tech guys said it was my modem (i had originally used an AT&T modem that worked fine--i was getting 3mb/.8m download and upload speedsd), but when i used the Verizon modem, the problem persisted. 

I would suspect that this was a problem at Verizon's end. But definitely ask them to check the line as that was the cause of the first problem--why the line worked and then all of a sudden stopped, is beyond me. I asked the Verizon tech and he said that sometimes the Central Offices tries to tweak their settings. I imagine that this is the problem in many instances.

Good luck.

PS. I'm near Adams Morgan/Woodley Park and the wires are all pretty new in our complex (build in 1990s).

0 Likes
Agon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

My neighbor has e Comcast and he has worse experiences with them than I've had with Verizon. If you're willing to give them another shot, call Verizon back and have them elevate the problem to the Central Office. And ask your neighbor if you can piggyback of their wifi, which is what my neighbor is doing.

Hopefully it's not the wiring, just "Central Office" (whatever that is) playing with their settings.

0 Likes
GasHed

Second the "solved" note.  Things seemed back to 'normal' Saturday or Sunday.

0 Likes
rlxz

I have been experiencing the same problem.  I went to DSL Reports (website) to do a speed test and I'm getting a little over 700 down and 400 up.  It is getting slower and slower every time I check.  I call Verizon and get the run around about how they will send someone out to check the line.  They usually just send a technician out to that box at the corner of the block, he tinkers with it and it goes up a bit but that's it.

0 Likes
GasHed

Just ran a bandwidth test Sat morning at 11:00am and came up with 2.66M down / 715k up.  So, it doesn't appear to be the same issue as before.

0 Likes
Agon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is back. To summarize, I have a 3MB/.8MB plan and after having my problem temporarily fixed (see above), my speeds are back down to less than 1mb download. using Speedtest.net, my average download speed is about .7MB. I think this has been going on for around 3-4 weeks at least, and have been too busy to call and complain about this. (WHY I HAVE TO CALL AND NOTIFY VERIZON THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM IS ANOTHER ISSUE ALL TOGETHER). My Verizon Modem Home page says that my connection is 3MB/.8MB but that's not the case.

I'm very frustrated by Verizon. I have only experienced less than average service since I signed up with them 9 months ago. I wish there was a non-cable alternative to them because I would sign up in an instant. If you can, DO NOT GET VERIZON as your DSL provider.

What are my options besides having to spend yet another 1 hour on the phone? Is anyone else having recurring problems? Any suggestions?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes