Slow DSL with Westell 6100 Bridged
jimmypal

I've had terrible DSL speeds for a while now, any time of the day or night.

I finally bought a new modem -Netgear N300, that is bridged with the Westell 6100 (red / white firmware)

My speeds are still terrible:

Plugged directly into the modem

737 kb/s up

131 kb/s down

Using Wireless

726 kb/s up

132 kb/s down

This is a problem on all 5 wireless devices in the house, including a Roku player which is mostly unusable because of this

(always 3 dots and is within 15 feet of the modem)

Since the router is bridged, I can only log into the modem, and not sure how to see Transeiver Statistics

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL with Westell 6100 Bridged
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Once you are in the Westell, go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics. Post up the information you see on that page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

#2 If you do not know how to get access to the Westell:

a) What is the current LAN IP of the Netgear N300?

b) Do you have a Hub or Switch?

c) Does your computer have at least two NICs?

d) Do you know how to setup a Static IP on your computer?

0 Likes
jimmypal

1. Since my modem is bridged I no longer know how to access it. When I log in, it takes me to the Netgear settings.

Under router management, there is an option to show statistics, not sure if this is what you're talking about:

Port  Status        TxPkts   RxPkts  Collisions  Tx B/s  Rx B/s  Up Time
WAN  100M/Full 3617     6926      0                    963    2301  00:23:35 
LAN 1  Link Down 0     0   0   0  0                                              00:00:00 
LAN 2  Link Down                                                                        00:00:00 
LAN 3  Link Down                                                                        00:00:00 
LAN 4  Link Down                                                                        00:00:00 
WLAN   54M         9980     7526         0                6349  1275  00:23:39 

#2-

a) The LAN IP of the Netgear N300 is 192.168.1.1

b) I think it's a hub

c) I think I have at least 2 NIC's

d) I have the option of using a Static IP in the settings for the Netgear

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Those speeds look like you're on the 768kbps/128kbps package. Once you log into your modem (probably need to hook your PC directly into the modem, and then visit the modem's Web Interface), we'll need to see those Transceiver statistics to verify the speed, and to also see if the line is capable of anything more.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

These are your options to get into the modem:

#1 Direct connection to the modem and a Static IP setup on your computer with-in the same subnet of the modem combo for a wired NIC.

#2 Changing the LAN IP of the Netgear N300, connection to a hub/switch that is connected between your Westell and your Netgear N300, and a Static IP setup on your computer with-in the same subnet of the modem combo on a wired NIC.

#3 Changing the LAN IP of the Netgear N300 and changing the IP Address to Static IP with-in the same subnet of the modem combo.

--

* Now on how to do those different options *

Direct connection to the modem and a Static IP setup on your computer with-in the same subnet of the modem combo.

#1 Make a wired NIC that you want to connect to the modem:

IP Address: 192.168.1.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then for the DNS, for example...

DNS number one: 208.67.222.222,

DNS number two: 208.67.220.220

#2 Disconect your computer from the Netgear N300.

#3 Disconnect the Netgear N300 from the Westell.

#4 Connect your computer to the Westell,

#5 Go to 192.168.1.1 -> System Monitoring -> Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics. Get the information that you see on that page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

#6 Disconnect your computer from the Westell.

#7 Connect your computer to the Netgear N300.

#8 Post that information you saw on that page in the Westell.

---

Changing the LAN IP of the Netgear N300, connection to a hub/switch that is connected between your Westell and your Netgear N300, and a Static IP setup on your computer with-in the same subnet of the modem combo on a wired NIC.

#1 In the Netgear go to LAN IP Setup

#2 Change the LAN IP so that it does not start with 192.168.1 ( For example change it to 192.168.2.1 ) and press apply.

#3 Disconnect the Westell from the Netgear N300.

#4 Connect the cable that is connected to the Westell to the port next to the uplink port on the hub/switch.

#5 Connect another cable to any other port on the hub/switch, but not the uplink port or the port in use by the Westell.

#6 Make a wired NIC that you want to connect to the modem:

#7 Conect it (has to be wired) to any other port on hub/siwtch but not the uplink port, not the port in use by the Westell, not the port in use by the Netgear.

#8 The other NIC (wired or wireless) can remain connected to the Netgear,

#9 Go to 192.168.1.1 and do step five above in the option "Direct connection to the modem and a Static IP setup on your computer with-in the same subnet of the modem combo."

#10 While you do not have a Linksys router, points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267 - this is the Recommended method that the owner of the FAQ wrote.

#11 Post that information you see on that page in the Westell.

---

Changing the LAN IP of the Netgear N300 and changing the IP Address to Static IP with-in the same subnet of the modem combo.

#1 In the Netgear go to LAN IP Setup

#2 Change the LAN IP so that it does not start with 192.168.1 ( For example change it to 192.168.2.1 ) and press apply.

#3 In the Netgear go to Basic Setup.

#4 When asked does your connection require a log-in, say no.

#5 Set it to use:

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then for the DNS, for example...

DNS number one: 208.67.222.222,

DNS number two: 208.67.220.220

and press Apply.

#6 Go to 192.168.1.1 and do step five above in the option "Direct connection to the modem and a Static IP setup on your computer with-in the same subnet of the modem combo."

#7 In the Netgear go to Basic Setup, and change the setting back to what it was - so you can access the net.

#8 Post that information you saw on that page in the Westell.

#9  While you do not have a Linksys router, points to and quotes some of http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267

This is the the Alternate Method that the FAQ owner wrote about, that starts off as...

In PPPoE, access to the modem is not possible through the Linksys.

If a 10 Mbps hub and a second NIC or spare PC is unavailable, then the following configuration changes to the Linksys are required for accessing the modem through the Linksys. Unfortunately, this will cause a loss of Internet access.

#10 Post that information you saw on that page in the Westell.

--

You have those different options if your modem only has one LAN port - Please pick your posion.

If you have any questons, please ask.

0 Likes
rtebeau

Hello, I have been searching forums/threads for the same issue, this is the closest.

Been having issues w/DSL download/upload speeds for about a month; I get a measly 700-900k download (paying for the 3M DSL service) and download is about 750k. I found this post and thought it might help me if I posted my stats for OP help.

I changed my modem to bridged mode and did test a direct connection w/out seeing any diference in speed; I have a NETGEAR WNR3500L on the back end (Which works 100%)

Not sure if it is time to replace this Westell 90F-6100 modem or not, it is a newer model and could not find any firmware upgrades for it online.

Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0 
Vendor ID Code:4 
Line Mode:ADSL2+ Mode 
Data Path:Interleaved 

Transceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3355863
Margin (dB)10.511.0
Line Attenuation (dB)56.531.0
Transmit Power (dBm)17.112.1
Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [64512]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 778.71Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 830.95kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_29

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 65535 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 330.35 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
There were 13 packets retransmitted, 129 duplicate acks received, and 132 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 8.1% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 41.56% of the time.
This connection is network limited 50.33% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [71.173.138.20] but Client says [192.168.2.231]

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Westell is probably doing just fine. You do seem to be out a good amount from the DSLAM according to the attenuation, but even with that your line is synced correctly and the margins are in acceptable ranges (according to the stats at that current ime).

Just so we can get some additional information, are these slow speeds taking place 24/7 or are they prominent towards the night time hours?

Can you paste up the result of http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html ? The last line in each traceroute may contain your IP address. If so, please remove the numbers from the trace if it doesn't end in all stars. I'm looking for a hop that says "ERX" in it towards the end, first of all.

0 Likes