Slow DSL
DonPond

My plan is 768mbps and it is usually only 358mbps. India chat was no help so far and now they are not available. Where is a live person to talk to or come fix the outside phone lines? I have been through the corrective steps many times and India even cleaned my hard drive form excess file. Made no difference. Please!{edited for privacy}for appointment to fix it or give me my money back. Comcast is begging to serve me!

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can try the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports. They tend to be a good place to start in getting repairs done. Someone on this website might also post up the contact information for Verizon too, should you wish to give that a shot.
0 Likes
johnskii
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem with a NEW PC and called the support center ( India ) as well. I am paying for the upgraded plan 1.5 to 3.0 Mbps however I am not even close to that. While having the tech on the phone I checked my connections, phone filters , etc. After that a speed test was done and the Tech admitted the speeds I was paying for are not what I am getting. He was going to dispatch a serviceman. After being put on hold for some time the Tech told me he just spoke with the regional Verizon internet center. The Tech told me that he was informed a major overhaul of the center was in process and in a few days my connection would be "WAY" faster. Well its approximately a month later and my speeds are the same. I sent an e-mail to Verizon about this problem two days ago and no reply as of yet. If Verizon can not deliver on the advertised speeds they should refund the money back to the consumer.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Providing your modem Transceiver Statistics along with posting up a speed test would be a useful place to start. If you don't know how to get the Transceiver Statistics, tell us which modem you have. If it isn't congestion causing your issue or a noisy line, there could be an issue on Verizon's end that we can try to solve.

johnskii
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will get you the modem model number tonight since I am at work. However from what I can remember the following is what I get from 4:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m: I will also update my speed test results.

Ping to Clifton , New Jersey from East Central Pa. 110ms - 120 ms

Upload average: .25 to .29

Download average: 1.0 to 1.29

johnskii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon just answered my e-mail and basically told me to call the tech hotline ( India ) again. The tech and I just ran the speed test again and again. Plus deleted all the browsers temporary files, cookies, etc. same speeds. Then he informed the Verizon supplied line is fine and the test is slow because of my computer which is only 6 months old and has an I5 processor. He also told me the 1.29 upload and .37 download speeds were great even though I have the 1.5-3.0 Mbps plan.  I told him I am going to get my work notebook PC which is also new  with an I5 processor and has only work related programs on it so he can not blame file sharing applications as KAZA and such. Stay tuned.....

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The issue over speed while running speed tests on a decently tuned system should be all but moot unless the machine is a dinosaur. A 128Mhz box should be able to tackle 40Mbps of connectivity with some optimizations done to it and nothing else running on the processor. A 300Mhz machine should have no issue dealing with 100Mbps connections given there isn't a stateful firewall running on the system.

johnskii
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just completed another speed test with a new notebook PC with an I5 processor , 4 Gig of RAM, 2.5 Ghz, etc....and guess what? The upload and download speeds ( 0.38 and 1.29 respectfully ) are the same when I did the test with my  desktop computer with the Verizon Tech on the phone. I even performed a ping test with the quaility of my lines receiving a "A". This test tells me Verizon is not providing the speeds they are claiming to.  The Tech blamed my desktop computer the speeds are not up to at least 1.5 - 3.0 Mbps promised to me. Now I used a second computer borrowed from work confirming it is not the computers but  Verizon is not providing the bandwidth as claimed. Does anyone else have this problem? I am going to contact Verizon again with my results again. Stay tuned..... 

0 Likes
c0lnag0
Enthusiast - Level 3

johnskii,

I'm with you.  I have similar problems (see my thread on 4 - 7 mbps rates).  But before I contact Verizon and complain to them, I'm going to take ALL of MY variables out of the loop.  It was suggested to me to take my router out of the loop (I'm still working on that one), but one thing I can do is to connect directly to my NID outside, and remove the question of my internal wiring.

Rest assured it's NOT your computer, or my computer, or any computer on the face of this planet.  My XBox connection is slow.  My Blu-Ray connection is slow.  My TV connection is slow. My Wii connection is slow.   Yes, all of these devices have network connections, are connected to my router, and are set to provide Netflix instant downloads (best thing since sliced bread, by the way).  No, these items do NOT have viruses/shareware/adware/etc, but it's a box on the tech support's list that they have to check off.

Can you connect directly to the NID?  If so, at the very least, do this test before calling Verizon.  Personally, I think that Verizon is limiting me to the bottom of my package (which means I probably max out at 4mbps, no matter what), but over-utilization of the network bogs me down even further.  But again, I have to test EVERYTHING at my end first, before I ask Verizon to do anything for me.  All I ask is that you do the same (you're going to do it anyway, so do everything you can before the phone call).

Tomorrow, I connect directly to the NID.  If I see ANY kind of improvement, then next week, I install a POTS splitter.

Thanks,

Joseph