Slow Download during prime time
durable1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue as reported by a number of other users here. I am a 3 Meg customer with download speeds as low as .2Meg during "prime time" hours (roughly 6pm - midnight weeknights). Upload speeds are never affected. I live in Eastern PA.

I've been through nearly a month of troubleshooting with no resolution yet. During that time there was a full internet outage (not hurricane related) which was eventually resolved; numerous phone calls to support; I was provisioned (without my knowledge) to a lower speed; I have installed a brand new VZ-provided modem. The problem persists. The only thing I've been able to get "fixed" was getting re-provisioned back to my 3Meg speed. Even when I was running at the lower provisioned speed the problem still happened during prime time.

Here is one of the many transstats I've taken:

Transmit Power (dBm) 16.9 12.2

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 839
Margin (dB) 9.7 14.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 53.7 31.0

Posting here in hopes that another set of eyes from VZ that can help with the problem might see this and respond. The fact that I spend so much time on the phone with VZ and collecting information to try and help them, yet still the problem is not resolved, has worn out my patience. My suspicion, based on the problem's pattern and all of the testing that has supposedly "failed to find the problem" is that my CO is overpopulated and I'm hooked onto a DSLAM that has no bandwidth left. I would like an honest answer about that. I'm connected to NATNPANR.

Re: Slow Download during prime time
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports.com . Visit the site and register an account. From there, post up in their forums asking them to investigate and solve the issue with peak time slowdowns. Insist on them not turning down your speed, as it is pretty solid considering your distance and keep the solution to checking the DSLAM, circuits, and edge routing equipment. Failing that avenue of support, I've sent you a PM to someone who you can contact that will tell you everything you're looking for, and also solve your problem if a solution is possible.

0 Likes
durable1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Way ahead of you there, Smith. I've been a DSLR member for 10+ years and have had a topic going in VZ direct for over a month now without a resolution.

I know I'm at a pretty far distance but as you say, surprisingly solid service even considering that. Got lucky and on a followup call about my "resolved" issue (which of course, was not), the guy on the phone was based in the US. I took advantage and was able to explain the sneaky provisioning change and he was able to set it back (per him, "You should be on 3M already...your account says 3M...did they change that?"). Nice guy, was helpful and listened to the history of the problem I relayed to him.

I've already been through the new modem and the usual "useless" stuff with the phone support so I've been trying to get VZDirect to look at the DSLAM next. There has been very little communication from them over there.

ps - Replied to your PM about that contact person.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's a huge plus then. Glad to see you're on top of it all 🙂 . Keep us posted on how things go.

0 Likes
blacknblue2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hate to tell you this but there isn't  a thing VZ will do about it.  Your only choice is to switch to cable.  VZ knows of the problem they have with over sold DSLAM's but they aren't going to spend the money to fix it.  Hundreds and probalby thousands of people are having the same issues of slow speeds at night.

I am on a 3 meg/768 plan and right now my download speed is .68.  Yep that is point 68.

Daytime is fine but at night when everyone is hitting the router it is over loaded.

They will run you through the same script, what is your OS, how good is your line, what is your Line Attenuation but in the end.....it VZ is always the problem.

IMHO VZ owes people a lot of refund money.   

0 Likes
JimyL

The previous contributor is right.  Stop doubting your own equipment and the DSL connection to the port.  Also don't let Verizon snow you the server you are contacting is bogging down.  The problem is with traffic on the national Verizon network during prime time.  During the day my DSL modem status reports "connection" speed as the full 7.611 Mbs and running the wwww.speedtest.net shows going thru the Verizon provider at nearly the same speed.  But tonight my DSL modem status reports "connection" speed still at the full 7.611 Mbs but running the same wwww.speedtest.net shows going thru the Verizon provider has is a sorrowful ping time of 145 ms and an equally sorrowful 0.69 Mbs download..  The upload speed was actually faster 0.75 !

I also have a cable connection (20Mbs service).  During the day the same server www.speedtest.net shows going thru the cable provide at virtually the same speed.  This evening it has slowed to 16.9 Mbs.  A 3 Mbs drop but still darn fast.

When you see this A-B comparison it's pretty clear Verizon needs to do something in their national infrastructure.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JimyL wrote:

When you see this A-B comparison it's pretty clear Verizon needs to do something in their national infrastructure.

#1 As addressed on

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/110138

By the looks of things, that is not going to happen.

#2 Also see

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/111049

0 Likes
blacknblue2
Enthusiast - Level 3
Gp tp cable because VZ will never satisfy you. They are coming out Friday at 10:30
0 Likes