Slow Internet Speeds
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

I am supposed to be getting 50/50 internet speeds on the current FIOS plan that I have.  Lately both my laptop and tablet seem to be moving very slow so I did a speed test today on Verizon's site and I got just under 15/15.  I don't know a lot about how this is supposed to work - should I be getting the actual speed test reading of 50/50 or something close to it?  I know it can vary during higher peak times.  I did the test on a Saturday morning so I don't know whether there are a lot of users on during that time.  Anyway, I'll test a few more times but basically I'd like some advice as to what I should do now - should I contact Verizon and complain?  Is it reasonable to expect them to actually do anything about it and if so, what? 

(For information, I'm using an old Dell Inspiron laptop and it scanned today as virus free.  I have 85 GB free of a total of 232.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Internet Speeds
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon would not sell it to you based on WiFi speeds.

they and most of the people on it that WiFi at best is half of a direct router to computer connection. You by your own post are not getting even 50/50 speeds. On a 50/50 speed the direct connection to your router and from your home to the Verizon proprietary server should show higher than 50/50.

speedtest net is showing real world speeds with all its issues. Congestion, bad hops, internet lags etc. but Verizon will not accept those speed test results only their own.

you could call Verizon and have them test the connection speeds. If they see it below what you are provisioned for they will fix it.

Although you could use your own router which would have better WiFi range, speeds you would lose tech support from Verizon. The Verizon routers are not rated the greatest for WiFi. Just google it and read it for yourself.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

15/15 is abysmal speed. On a 50/50 tier you should on direct connection to your router (not on WiFi) about 60/65 or there about.

i would unplug the router and wait a few minutes and then start it back up. Connect the laptop via Ethernet to the lan port on the router and go do the Verizon speed test again.

if still having difficulty call 1-800-VERIZON and select tech support.

0 Likes
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for your answer. To clarify, that speed test was done via wireless.  Since I got FIOS I no longer have a way to connect to my router.  Is it worth purchasing another ethernet cable (I must have discarded mine after FIOS was installed because I cannot find it).  Thanks very much.

0 Likes
merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

I borrowed my neighbor's ethernet cable and retested my speed after rebooting the router.  I came back with significantly higher speeds - about 45.89/46 with Verizon's test and even a little higher with Seedtest.com.  So it seems that the slow speed is related to using it wireless.  My quesiton is this - would it still make sense to contact Verizon?  My FIOS setup was always intended to be wireless - that's how it was marketed to me when I signed on, that's how Verizon set it up, and that's basically how they led me to believe I would be getting the 50/50 speeds.  I understand those speeds are a ceiling and that they fluctuate but still, 14/14 is on the pretty low end of things.

Thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon would not sell it to you based on WiFi speeds.

they and most of the people on it that WiFi at best is half of a direct router to computer connection. You by your own post are not getting even 50/50 speeds. On a 50/50 speed the direct connection to your router and from your home to the Verizon proprietary server should show higher than 50/50.

speedtest net is showing real world speeds with all its issues. Congestion, bad hops, internet lags etc. but Verizon will not accept those speed test results only their own.

you could call Verizon and have them test the connection speeds. If they see it below what you are provisioned for they will fix it.

Although you could use your own router which would have better WiFi range, speeds you would lose tech support from Verizon. The Verizon routers are not rated the greatest for WiFi. Just google it and read it for yourself.

merlin96
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks.  I'll give them a call.  Thanks for your replies.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that older wireless devices connect at slower speeds (802.11b)and even on good conditions can get speeds on the order of 11/11.  802.11g get maybe 54 under ideal condions   802.11n and 802.11ac should exceed your current connection speed.  Any device can get slower speeds under lots of different conditions (distance, walls, competing signals, etc.).   ITs why they only want you to test using a wired connection.