Slow Internet speeds
Jalloh_family
Enthusiast - Level 2

So a few days ago me and my family switched to Verizon internet, and it hasn't been a pleasnt experience, right now Im not here to talk about the Tv i might make another post about that, but we got the gigabit internet, and they said we couldn't get ethernet connected to the computer when with our last internet we did, so we cant test it "properly" but even then, the internet is so slow, its worse than what we had before by tenfold. The speeds are slow, the fastest I ever got were 100 down and 30 up and it gets as slow as .5 down and .3 up, and it gets down there often, and I want to know what I can do to fix it because we switched not even a week ago and are already considering switching back to our old internet, because this is just crazy.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Internet speeds
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the router as the Administrator (different than the WIFI password). The password is listed on the rear of the router itself. Then

. Click on the "ADVANCED" tab

. Click on "Wi-Fi"

. The slider for SON is towards the top right corner of the screen.

Once disabled, set up the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands (names, passwords etc....).

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

To get started, please describe your setup.

Also:

How are you connected to the router/extender?

Do you have a Verizon router & extender or something else?

If you have a Verizon router is it connecting to the ONT via an ethernet or coaxial cable?

Jalloh_family
Enthusiast - Level 2

im using my pc with a NVME wifi and Bluetooth connecter I'm not connected to it because they said it wouldmnt be possible and no one else can even use ethernet we have a router we have the g3100 or whatever it is but no extender and the last question I don't know what that means.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If a computer does not have an ethernet jack, a USB to ethernet adapter can be used.

Knowing that the router is a 3100, is SON enabled or disabled? In practice disabling SON and separating access to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands is the preferred way to go. 

Also, the further away the computer is from the router, the slower the Internet speed will be. In addition, the 2.4GHz band is slower than the 5GHz band.

So, can you check to see if SON is enabled or disabled in the router? Is the computer far away from the router? Does the computer have an ethernet port?

Jalloh_family
Enthusiast - Level 2

My motherboard has a ethernet port, and idk if SON is enabled or disabled how can I disable it?.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the router as the Administrator (different than the WIFI password). The password is listed on the rear of the router itself. Then

. Click on the "ADVANCED" tab

. Click on "Wi-Fi"

. The slider for SON is towards the top right corner of the screen.

Once disabled, set up the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands (names, passwords etc....).