Slow Internet
mhilinski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last night I  had to keep restarting my router and computer I did this Several times throughout the night. I also ran a speed test as well Here were the results

download speed 0.21

upload speed of 0.337

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks

Re: Slow Internet
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is your router the gateway 7500 wireless?

#2 If not, what is it?

#3 If your router has wireless:

a) Is the wireless in the router turned on?

b) What level of wireless security is it set to ( WEP / WPA ) ?

#4 Post the modem status from the modem.

This info may be at System Monitoring -> Advanced Status  -> Transciever Stats.

0 Likes
mhilinski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes i have the 7500 wireless gateway

no the wireless is not on on the router

the wireless is set to wep

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What software firewall is on your computer?

#2 What anti-virus program is on your computer?

0 Likes
mhilinski
Enthusiast - Level 2

for the antivirus and the Firewall i am using thefamily protection suite from Verizon..,.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mhilinski wrote:

for the antivirus and the Firewall i am using thefamily protection suite from Verizon..,.

Ok.

For testing reasons, you could disable them to see if that improves the speed OR NOT.

0 Likes
El-Gordo
Enthusiast - Level 2

@mhilinski wrote:

Last night I  had to keep restarting my router and computer I did this Several times throughout the night. I also ran a speed test as well Here were the results

download speed 0.21

upload speed of 0.337

Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks

Hi,

I notice dslr whatever is doing the same thing trying to blow smoke with EVERYONE complainig about the sudden slowdowns Verizon DSL'ers are experiencing right now. It's not your equipment, its VERIZON (got the dslr whatever?)

There is nothing wrong with either my configuration which hasn't changed in years and all 6 of my systems which are all protected and locked down tight as is my router are going to all report the same speed. It is fluctuating and weirdly enough I get better speed during the daylight hours (375kbps) and it goes to pot after 6pm (265KBPS) which is way less than kbps which is what the 2nd tier TS tech told me was "acceptable". Anything less the 768 -10kbps is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned especially when it's be rolling along for YEARS around 760kbps!

@I just noticed my service level drop to well below Verizon's acceptable bandwidth to be considered fair for the $$$. I have 768 service due to distance from the CO. I was provisioned @ 864kbps with a maximum possible high end of 900kbps. I was told on the 5th of this month that a 25%, YES 25% decrease in service bandwidth from contracted service level of whatever you "purchase" is ACCEPTABLE! Can you believe that! Hmmm, I'll take a dozen eggs please, hey wait, there are only 8 eggs in this cartoon but you're still charging me for 12! How is that ok???

So anyway, keep putting in tickets and start calling the Consumer Protection Div of the AG's office along with any other consumer advocates and start looking for another provider. Verizon is getting into bed with Google and it's going to be bad some scrap Google as well if Verizon & Google do get married.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is another question, if you do not mind...

What speed test site / service did you use?

The reason that I ask, is that when I used Verizon's In Home Agent Speed test - they were showing me having much slower speed that I have.

0 Likes
mhilinski
Enthusiast - Level 2

the service that i used was www.speedtest.net

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 How often does this happen?

#2 Does it only happen at certain times?

0 Likes