Slow Wifi ONLY On Verizon Gigabit FiOS with Netgear RAX120 - Same Equipment used on Spectrum is 1Gb
alinefx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had Verizon FiOS Gigabit for about 9 months now. Prior to that I had spectrum but left them because they limit the upload speed to 35mbps. However, MY router (Netgear RAX120 Wifi 6) would consistently provide between 500-700MBPS over Wifi 6 and between 300-500 on Wifi 5, both on 5G obviously.

Since switching to Verizon FiOS, my wifi speeds are always just in the 100s usually - between 120 and 150 on average, with Peaks of maybe 180-200 on rare occasions. 

Initially, I had the Verizon Wifi 6 Router and Coax MoCA connected Wifi 6 Extender - Same speeds there so I thought may as well use my own equipment, but no luck. The Wifi settings weren't changed between the switch from Spectrum to FiOS.

Another thing is if the Router does a speed test from itself to Verizon, the Speed is 900+. But the Wifi Connected clients get kicked down to the 100s. I have taken the Router to someone who has spectrum and just connected their WAN cable to the router and from a cold boot, I was able to get a full 400mbps on Wifi 6 on their Spectrum plan, so obviously, the router is ok.. 

All Wifi settings are for Max Performance - changing channel widths make no difference - and the same no of devices are around, creating relatively the same level of interference. Even connecting Meraki MR55 Wifi 6 Access Points (retail over $1000) make no difference even though if I take the SAME CAT5 cable that went over to the Meraki and connect it directly to a computer, the Speed will be 800+ Mbps on Average, but doing a speed test yields just 130. 

It's really incredible how this is happening. Hopefully, someone here has a solution?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow Wifi ONLY On Verizon Gigabit FiOS with Netgear RAX120 - Same Equipment used on Spectrum is
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AdeptMaven wrote:

I know this post is a couple of years old but was this ever resolved? I'm having the same issue though my setup is switching from Xfinity to google fiber.

This forum is dedicated to Verizon fios service and equipment.  It sounds like your issue is with another service provider and their related equipment.  I suggest you post on forums related to your provider, as  answers can and do vary based on provider and equipment used.

View solution in original post

Re: Slow Wifi ONLY On Verizon Gigabit FiOS with Netgear RAX120 - Same Equipment used on Spectrum is
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How could this be? Can you setup a layer 2 port mirroring to monitor what frames go into the Meraki access point? I doubt this is the case, but some WAN traffic may leak into the WLAN.

Besides the Meraki and Netgear router, you don't have any other network infrastructure right? Do you have any multicasting packets on the LAN?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try running TCP Optimizer on your Windows computers, and set it to use the "Optimal" setting with the 100+Mbps slider option: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

My other thought is, if you have automatic speed test or QoS enabled on your router, sometimes they generate the maximum bandwidth value by using a built-in speed test. I would make sure those features are turned off before trying to test again.

AdeptMaven

I know this post is a couple of years old but was this ever resolved? I'm having the same issue though my setup is switching from Xfinity to google fiber.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AdeptMaven wrote:

This forum is dedicated to Verizon fios service and equipment.  It sounds like your issue is with another service provider and their related equipment.  I suggest you post on forums related to your provider, as  answers can and do vary based on provider and equipment used.

KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes